Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Belmont
I just got the hoyer lift and u sling for my pals husband. I’m so scared to use it. I had a video call going over it but I am still scared to use it. Plus, the sling for toileting and showering hasn’t come yet. Are there any good videos on using it?

Do you have access to an OT who can make a home visit? Maybe a referral from your clinic or treating physician?

I just put the question "How to use a hoyer lift" in a search and there are many videos online.
Also, do you have a friend/relative who could come over with whom you could practice before you use it on the PALS? We had an OT come who showed me and practiced with me.
When you lift someone up the main thing to watch out for is that the loops are clicked in correctly and that when you lift the person the person sits in a comfortable position. Watch out that the head is supported and that the limbs are in a good position. Check that while you lift. Lift them up slowly and if you need to make the band shorter/longer lower them down again and shorten/lengthen. You will notice if the position won't work when you lift them up a bit. If I remember correctly the most important part was to get the part of the sling that's for the back far enough down behind the back so that the slings for the legs can be positioned correctly.
I had the sling around myself and the OT lifted me - that gave me a feeling for what's going on and what is comfortable.
If you are afraid just lift a little, a couple of inches up off the wheelchair of the bed and watch if it looks safe. Once you have done it a few times it will become routine. I was nervous at first too.

Making sure you have the right size sling is important, too. There are size tables but just like with clothing, PALS on the cusp may need something different than what they say. If the positioning does not seem to work as in the video, size could be something to look at.

A U sling should be fine for showering and toileting. If you get a sling with a little hole in it later on, don't bother -- it's completely impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back