Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
Uni
State
RI
City
Providence
Hi - I'm a cALS to my husband who has limb onset. His fav. thiing to so is swim in the ocean -- anything you all know about that can help him?

Thank you!

So he's using a cane, right? Is his kick (or arms, without it) strong enough to keep his head above water? Obviously, you can test this in a pool if not sure but waves and current are different.

Random thoughts -- can he be loosely tethered to you/a board that you are on/a boat or ski that you are on/etc.?

Can he wear floats/a vest...a way to rest if/as needed. I mean, obviously, it would be best if he's low energy to stay near shore/or swim out first thing until he's the least bit tired and then in...If he's solo, certainly wearing something reflective/easy to spot...are you usually on hand, or...? Could it be that one of the boys goes with as a lark as much as safety?

I am not sure of his abilities or the water in question. Of course, it would be common sense to make the first run in full daylight, not against a tide, etc.

Best,
Laurie

Flotation aids and a swimming partner sound like good ideas.

Check and see if Oceans of Hope operates in your area. It's an organization that uses adaptive equipment and physical help for people who want to body surf.

I had to first give up surfing, then swimming in the ocean and finally walking in the water. Now I enjoy going in the heated pool (when they actually heat it to my comfort level.)

Where I am there are frequent runouts and the waves can be strong enough to knock people over so be careful.

Great point, Kim-- Thomas, beyond the suggestions for the now, when he can't swim at all, some adaptive sports organizations offer getting out on the water in craft designed for wheelchairs.

I swam in the ocean during the stage I was using a walker
the hard part was getting out beyond break water. One person on each side would help and we would turn backs to waves and brace once out I didn't need help because I was strong swimmer. I welcome would use noodle while snorkeling.

coming in they would float me in like beached whale

So much fun!!!!

Thank you all so much! I have recently ordered this:

[commercial link removed- use internet search for "Airtime Watertime]

I'll let you know how it goes -- hoping it will get him more time in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back