How to relieve pain from sitting long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you on an ipad Christine. If so the way you open pdfs has changed. It took me a while to find them again. His pdf does work for me
Oh geez! Just got a new one. I even told people ‘this is kind of different, I need to figure this out!’. Sorry - and THANK YOU!! :)

If you tried to download it lookfor a little arrow in a circle to the right of your browser window and click on it

It's not the best from a picture stand point. It's more of a list of hardware and software that I have used that work very well for me. I think it isn't an exciting read, but I was hoping to inspire others to keep the mind busy and allow independent control of seating and environment .

the pdf worked for me too - I would suspect an ipad issue too
oh, didn't see there was another page of replies til after I posted.
Jim thank you for that super resource!

Sorry for suggesting something that works, how stupid of me

Al, (Firefighter), if you're referring to your suggestion of CBD oil, that is certainly something to try for people who can't relieve their pain through proper positioning, ROM exercise, massage, etc. But when other options can do the job, I think we would all agree that preventing the pain is preferable to masking it.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Al, (Firefighter), if you're referring to your suggestion of CBD oil, that is certainly something to try for people who can't relieve their pain through proper positioning. But when positioning and gadgets can do the job, I think we would all agree that preventing the pain is preferable to masking it.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie! That is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if I should say anything. I have always taken pain as a sign that I need to adjust my strategy. I am afraid that if I ignore/mask the pain thru drugs that I will be inviting a much bigger problem - sores or permanent pain due to bad posture/position. I would rather try to fix the problem first. So far I have avoided the drugs and any side effects they might bring. If I do run out of ways to get comfortable, then bring on the drugs! Cbd sounds like a possible solution .

For my PALS we changed position in the recliner chair quite often, and I would lift and prop the knees onto the arm rest. We referred to this as “the frog” just to give it a socially-appropriate term, but it seemed to do the trick in terms of pressure relief. Not sure if height/weight would be a factor but my PALS is tall (for a woman) and skinny and this helped her feel more comfortable in the chair.

Thanks for describing the legs up chair position much better than I did ! 🙂

this thread has been really helpful. I have a lot of pain in my knees, hips, and groin muscles. Groin muscles are so tight that I can barely spread my knees enough to wipe on the toilet. It's very painful. I do heat, stretches, and my husband massages when we can find time. I feel uncomfortable asking my PCAs to massage my groin muscles, not for my sake, but for theirs. My knees hurt VERY badly when I bend or straighten them after 20 min in one position. I'm constantly trying to alternate, and we do stretches and massage, but i think i have contrracture because the PT measured and they don't straighten all tthe way.

But when other options can do the job, I think we would all agree that preventing the pain is preferable to masking it.
I don't know what all the answers are to the pain like Kristina is suffering, but the wisdom, for the time I have been a member here, seems to be summed up by Laurie's comment. She and many members, including the humerous but educational Chally and his videos, stress prevention of pain by ROM, massage, movement without over exertion. My current round of PT for a painful frozen shoulder is a reminder of these essentials.

I can't imagine how Chris would have coped with daily massage/ROM/movement of any kind he could manage/tolerate.
It all makes a world of difference.

I miss Chally, too - though I wasn't online long. I especially liked the lovely photo that makes him look like a very wise guru. B. :cool:
1582858515969.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back