How to pick cough assist or suction devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worrieddaughter77

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
IL
City
Oulu
Can you please recommend what brand of cough assist or suction machine to buy for my dad. He complains that his saliva is too thick now, and i don't know where to start.

Should we tell this to our dr so that he prescribes one, or is this something that is normally not covered by insurance? If not, what is the best place to buy one.

Also, I'm not sure if he needs cough assist or suction machine and what is the difference?

Essentially, i just don't know where to start with this one and i don't want to wait until our next visit to the dr on Nov 8.

There are 3 pieces of equipment that relate:

SmartVest or TheVest [oscillating vest] to break up gunk if it stays in chest -- not standard of care, but helpful for some -- some insurers may not cover, but increasingly they will

CoughAssist to cough it up -- some find helpful, others do not. Anyone who uses a vest needs this, but it does not require a vest.

Suction machine for gunk that is not as deep, and saliva -- same as above -- can suck up gunk that the CoughAssist surfaces -- the most common brand is DeVilbiss. May be cheaper to self-pay than rent.

Low-tech interim solutions -- have your dad "spit" into paper towel and discard. Use hot liquids, pineapple/papaya juice, Coke, Alka Seltzer, etc. to thin out phlegm.

These should all be covered but the process can take a while, so I would start now w/ the clinic. In advance of the appointment, you can send pics or video to give them more insight into your dad's issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back