Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Sorry for all the wheelchair posts. it's a whole new world and very overwhelming to figure out. My doctor put in a referral for the PT wheelchair eval but as my hands continue to lose function im wondering how can I operate a pwc once i get to the point where i can no longer use my hands at all?

Last edited:
There are chin controls if you have good control of your head, And then there's eyegaze control. Also there's a control unit with a little tube to blow in/suck on but I've never heard it mentioned for PALS as you'd need good breathing strength, no mask or stuff like that

My PALS got a harness with a chin controlled joystick last week and only used it once so far. It still takes some coordination and strength. We should have gotten it month ago!
It can control all of the menu of his Permobil wheelchair and with the additional display he got on his ride he could also control TV and so on. Pretty sweet.

There are head controls. It is basically a head rest with switches on either side and at the back. With small head movement you have complete control of your chair. If asking your PT they usually call them head arrays.
Vincent

My Chris had a chin control - they take some learning but are brilliant.

Any "ability switch" can operate a wheelchair with a switch-compatible interface. So that could include chin control but also whatever muscle you have control of -- from tongue to a cheek muscle to a toe.

A joystick can also be relocated for easier CALS control, e.g. to a particular side or the back. And you can have both types of control installed for redundancy.

Importantly, there are several options for joystick handles besides the one it comes with, that often make control easier with weak but functional hands or even a single finger joint.

I have used several, right now I have chin control with an attendant control on the back so that someone else can control. If you have a knowledgeable mobility person, they can find something that will work. They can get pricey, but the right people should know how to write it up to show need, due to progression and limitations.

Ok cool, I didn't realize that any switch or eye gaze could also be used for operating a pwc. I've just started learning to use a head mouse with my computer so I can see how something similar would work for the pwc.

Also feeling a bit of deja vu, not sure if this is something i had already asked and forgotten. if so, i apologize.

No need to worry about asking twice, Kristina, as we cover a lot of topics on a loop. We are all in different places in dealing with the disease.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back