Diagnosis
01/2019
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Hi, my BFF has bulbar onset ALS, and she is having a lot of trouble keeping weight on because she can hardly eat any food. Can anyone recommend any protein drinks or shakes that you have had some success with? thanks.

go to the closest gym, they will have the 411 on the best supplements I use muscle milk and creatine protein powder and I have gained 11lbs that I am mortified about, while my Dr is just thrilled.

Nice avatar.

Smoothies with nut butter and full fat Greek yogurt. It’s all about the blender. I recommend the Vitamix.
She will eventually benefit from a gastrostomy tube.

While my husband was still eating gave him high calorie smoothies.

I can easily make a shake in the Vitamix that is well over 1,000 calories. Full fat coconut milk as the base and add avocado, nut butter, protein powder and dark chocolate. You can throw in some good antioxidants like blueberries or strawberries, too. If dairy doesn't bother, I second Karen's full fat Greek Yogurt in place of the protein powder. I add greens and collagen peptides but that doesn't add many calories. Raw cocoa is best if she likes a deep chocolate flavor.

Has she thought about a feeding tube? They are very easy and low maintenance.

If she eats them, raw eggs or coddled eggs mixed in are another good addition, likewise heavy cream, ice cream, puddings.

Apart from shakes, you can do a lot with soup in the blender, too, adding pureed meats if applicable and a lot of the same ingredients above.

I would recommend real food ahead of powdered ingredients as the latter take more energy to metabolize, can get clumpy, and all in all aren't generally as tasty. And just a general note that given "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down," we are no longer as worried about long-term heart disease, etc. so however much honey, salt, chocolate, maple syrup, or other flavoring improves drinkability for shakes, soups, etc. and doesn't have GI consequences, go for it.

Leading up to diagnosis, I lost 70 pounds. While I was a bit chunky at the start of my journey, my weight loss was alarming to my doctors.

When I was first diagnosed, the dietician I saw recommended that I drink/eat tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil. Yuck. I just could not do it.

What we did instead was to start making homemade mayonnaise, which is mostly oil. Not only does it taste great, but it also coats the things I eat and makes them much easier (for me) to swallow.

I can eat a half a cup of mayonnaise on a good day, and that is essentially a half a cup of oil. At about 120 calories per tablespoon, I am able to really supplement my calorie intake this way.

Early on, I also at a lot of ice cream. I have much more difficulty with ice cream now, but it was great when I could eat essentially unlimited quantities.

Steve

Like Steve, I lost nearly 70 pounds before diagnosis. I decided to have a feeding tube placed almost immediately after diagnosis as my ability to eat/swallow was severely compromised to the point where I was exhausted at the end of each meal. Once the tube was placed, my weight loss stopped. I have maintained my weight for 3.5 years now. I strongly recommend a feeding tube as soon as possible.

Kate Farms has some tasty high calorie formulas that are non GMO and no high fructose corn syrup. I used to drink them when I didn't have time or ingredients for a smoothie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back