Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Stafford
Hey everyone! Last time I posted a thread, I gave you all an update on my dad. He was offically diagnosed with the Slow Progression ALS. Which blows big time. I have come to terms that he has this disease but Im having a very hard time accepting it. Im having a hard time dealing with it. My Psych teacher told me its normal to have some kind of depression with this nasty shock, and the best way to get over it is by crying and healing. The thing is..........if I cry, I know its real and I dont want it to be real, I really dont. Im having a harder time with this than I imagined or letting my parents in on. The other night in class I got teary eyed out of no where because I was thinking of my dad. I just dont know how I can come to accept not only my DAD but my HERO having this disease. ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNFAIR AND I HHHHHHATEEEEEEE IT.:cry:

Thanks again for listening to me vent and to get a couple of tears out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heather- my heart goes out to you. You will find the strength when you need it, though. Maybe you just need time to grieve this DX.

Heather,

What you are going through is very normal. My mom passed away 8 years ago from lung cancer at the age of 49. I still get tears in my eyes when I think about her. I don't know how I would have gotten through it if I didn't just have my first child and
needed to keep my strentgh for him.
Try and have strength when you are around your dad he needs your support right now and is probably more worried about his family right now then himself.

Heather
My husband has slow progression ALS too, and he has a 19 year old daughter away at college who lives with her mother most of the year. . He was diagnosed in 2006, and at first it seemed like she didn't believe it and was ignoring it. This was very upsetting to my husband, but not nearly as upsetting as it would have been if she had been very upset herself whenever she talked to him. Recently, she has become much kinder and more patient with him, and this has had a wonderful effect on my husband. He doesn't talk to her about his issues with the ALS, but he knows that she is aware of it, and is trying to make things better for him. Try to be strong for your Dad, but don't forget to find ways to let your own stress out. Talking to a counselor and getting exercise will help you. Also, don't be afraid to cry, and don't forget your Mom needs you too. My heart goes out to you. If the progression is slow, hopefully, you'll have your Dad around for a long time.

Hey guys thank you all so much for your kind encouragement. I have been showing my parents support and not showing how its been affecting me. I talked to my mom tonight about my dads next apointment. I asked her if there were any talk therapy places that deal with ALS and she said she'd ask...but she thinks theres one close to us! So Im going to give that a try! I do cry....I end up crying over the phone to a close girlfriend or to my boyfriend who has been there to help me! Its not that I dont cry, I feel as if I cry then I have to deal with knowing my dad is going to end up dying in the long run! I know its true but I dont want to believe it! I know Im 22 years old and need to face the facts but I still cant! I will when the time is right!

Thanks again!

Sounds like you are such a special daughter.

Heather,

My heart aches for you, but you do sound like such a special daughter and person. Try to think of the happy moments with your Dad and be there for him in a happy way. You can be strong. Just take one day at a time. It will be okay!

This disease is horrible, but know that we are here for you always. Your Dad would not want you to be sad and upset. I try to focus on the positive and it gets me through each day, which is better for all.

You are in our prayers and thoughts.

Hugs
Caroliney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back