How to come to terms with possible diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are not ALS symptoms. The clicking is a symptom of globus

a neurologist is trained to detect neurologic abnormalities

i am sorry you are scared. You can continue to worry or you can work with your pcp

Bulbar onset of ALS can't be mistaken for anything else. It doesn't require specialization to see something's wrong. Get an EMG if that's what it's going to take for you to move on, but please be willing to accept the results since pretty sick people often wait a while for these.

Leading causes of what you report are dry mouth/anxiety, inadequate hydration, TMJ dysfunction (your dentist can check for abnormal tooth wear and fit you a night guard if so), allergies, GERD.

Hello again. I wanted to ask about cramping as I did not see it addressed in the sticky but have read many reports of young ALS patients who said it was one of their first symptoms (along with twitching). How likely is it that cramping is a symptom without any accompanying weakness? Specifically, for the past few days I have been feeling what I would almost describe as pre-cramps in my hands and in one leg where it feels as though it's about to cramp but doesn't. Can you advise if this + twitching is characteristic of ALS?

I am trying to get in to see the neuro again, though due to my 'clean' clinical exam last month they are not prioritizing my appointment. I am trying very hard not to panic and obsess but every day I find something else that seems to fit the bill. I really appreciate your time and your feedback for anxious people like me who have fallen down the rabbit hole.

Hello-

Please use the links you were sent via pm a while back. This forum is fine for answering a few basic questions, but can not be used as a place to continue seeking reassurance once you've been answered repeatedly. You must ask for help from your doctor if you are worried about your health.

Thank you ShiftKicker. I apologize - I didn't mean to offend anyone. I will continue to work with my doctors and refrain from asking any more of the kind folks here. I appreciate your generous time.

To answer your question, what people mean by "cramping" varies, but if you mean some kind of painful spasm that goes away completely after a while, in the absence of clinical weakness, which you do not have, that has nothing to do with ALS. You are in the clear. I'm glad you are working with your doctors.

(mod note- the op of this thread has been removed for having multiple profiles)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back