06/2007
Country
US
State
texas
City
austin
Hi!
I asked this question on one of my threads--but, realize it didn't really relate to my intro. So, hence, a new thread. My husband needs a button hook. What is a long term device that works?--I saw all these choices and wondered if for long term a bendy handle that can be wrapped around the hand would best. what am I looking for long term?
Also, I'm VERY wary of the web. Am I allowed to ask on this forum--if anyone has found an honest website or company for ordering adaptive devices? I would love advice on a reasonable, honest place to search. We are pretty new at this.

Also, any books? I went to the local library--nothing. The local college texts are TOO technical and the brochures are too vague. I am wishing for a list of what to do to prepare--financially, emotionally, adaptive equipment--when and how.

FINALLY, I thought for xmas I would get him a massager. Is that safe or will it deteriorate the muscles more? I don't want to hurt him--I thought it might relieve the pain and stiffness. But, maybe it is dangerous. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks!
Nano

I got my husband a massage chair, they told me if it was to hard to put a towel or some blankets between him and the chair... hope it wouldn't be dangerous... although if I see here that it is, I could most definitely use it!

Tina

Hi. When I asked my husband's doc at the ALS clinic about massage (I was referring to manual massage) she said it is fine but to let him gauge how much and how firm. In other words, if it hurts, don't do it. I don't know, but I would think the same would apply for a hand held device or a massage chair. I tried one of those chairs in a store once and it was pretty intense, even on low. But then again, I'm kind of boney! :-D

As for equipment and information, check with your area ALS/MDA clinic. Ours gave us a catalog of adaptive devices and also a book that tells all about ALS. It has lots of information in simple terms. That's where my husband found out to get some cowboy boots to help him with foot drop until he gets his orthotics. To find a clinic in your area try this site:
http://www.alscareproject.org/resources/nat_mda-als_centers.htm

thanks

Great! I'll get him something to help with the tense muscles. I'll contact the local
MDA about magazines and equipment. That is good advice.
At this time, I'm beginning to do the buttoning. but, I figured the longer he was self-reliant--the better for his ego.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back