Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
florida
City
keystone heights
With Progression If You Have Als....its Been 6 Months...and Barely Any Progression....shouldnt I Be Feeling Some Real Effects By Now?

Not That Im Hoping For That...just Wondering?

omg,

Feeling some effects of what exactly?:?:

The Twitching....the Atrophy That Apparently Only I Notice....the Slight Weakness

oh ok, now I got it,

As far as I know, twitching and atrophy do not usually produce pain necessarily. I'll have to go back and read your posts to see what's going on. I don't mean any harm at all, but what real effects exactly are you wanting to appear? I've had twitching off and on for about 7 months, but that's about all it is, twitching off and on.
I'll get to reading more later,
take care,
brenda

I Get Alot Of Pain From The Bottom Right Side Of My Back Down To My Right Thigh When Sitting...i Haven't Been Dx'd By The Way...

That kind of pain is no way ALS. I'd bet you have ruptured disc or pinched nerve.

AL.

Can a sticky be posted somewhere that says "If you have pain or numbness/tingling, you do not have ALS."

Eh. I'm feeling spiteful today.

actually pain is now a recognised symptom of als,some not all do have pain.
as for tingling/numbness this can be due to circulation problems from not being able to move about/or as much.
cold hands and feet also are circulation symptoms,i have to wear socks in the summer sometimes as my feet are always frozen.

but i do agree with al,pain down one leg from the bottom does sound like a pinched nerve.

cody have you had a spinal MRI?

I had an L5S1 diskectomy last year. When the disc herniated I could not do toe raises and had a lot of pain. It was so bad it also cut off motor function (thus, no toe raises). The doc told me without surgery I would lose that nerve - and function. He was right - function came back within a few weeks.

The pain that is associated with ALS is pain from cramps, spasticity, joint contracture, etc. The pain that is not associated with ALS is neuropathic pain, which is the pain that many on here say they have and think it is attributed to ALS.

Yes, tingling and numbness can be caused by a lack of circulation due to a lack of movement (something that will happen with PALS) . . . but again . . . the people that come on here saying they have those symptoms are moving around just fine.

There is a very small percentage of PALS who present with neuropathic pain and numbness and tingling and other odd sensory symptoms, but those cases are very rare and a differential diagnosis is almost always sought in those situations.

Cody: you don't have a single symptom that points to ALS. I'm not sure why you go round and round about this. Fix the problems you have . . . both physically and mentally . . . and get on with your life.

Cody: you don't have a single symptom that points to ALS. I'm not sure why you go round and round about this. Fix the problems you have . . . both physically and mentally . . . and get on with your life.

twitching, weakness and atrophy arent symptoms?

You don't have atrophy, you just think you do (you showed us the picture of your hand and it looked normal to me and everyone else on here). Twitching is a symptom of about a gazillion things, most of them benign as is weakness . . . and you said you didn't have weakness with your supposed atrophy. Now you do?

Pain running down your entire leg as you are able-bodied is not a sign of ALS; it sounds like a classic case of sciatica.

You can sit there and take a piece here and a piece there of this, that and the other thing and convince yourself you have ALS . . . OR . . . you can look at the entire picture and make an informed conclusion.

I had sciatica pain going from the lower right part of my back down the right leg, on and off, 6-9 years ago. This was because of herniated disks, confirmed by MRI. The pain is mostly gone, but the lower outer side of my right leg is very numb ever since. It may have nothing to do with my ALS symptoms. But the fasciculation started a couple of years ago exactly in the numb area.

mines not like radiating...its in one area in my back in then the hip thigh area...and its worse when sitting

Cody, that sound exactly like bursitis that I used to get. Try taking (after clearing it with your doctor first, of course) 600-800 mg of ibuprofen 3-4 X a day for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back