Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
new brunswick
How quickly does atrophy happen? Are the hands and feet usually affected first and then move up the arms and legs?

A lot of people seem to notice it in their hands first but that could be that between typing eating etc. our hands are the things we see most. How often do most of us really look hard at the other parts?
AL.

Thank you for the quick reply, Al. I don't know if you saw my other post, but my symptoms seem to have started in my upper arms (my hands seem to be ok) and then went to my legs . . . all in a matter of less than a month. I know I see lots of websites talk about loss of function of limbs and that it usually debilitates one limb before going to the next limb. Is that true too? My symptoms are weakness so I still have full function of all of my limbs, but each and everyone of them has gotten weaker and gotten weaker quickly. Any more input from you or anyone else would be great. Take care and God bless.

A month is kind of quick for symptoms to be really noticible and the bicep being weak and spreading to the legs is a bit unusual too. If I was a betting man I'd be betting on something viral. I'd still see a Neuro though.
AL.

Thanks again Al. I do have a neuro appointment, but it's over a month away. In the meantime, I'm hoping that other people on here will be able to help me.

but it's over a month away.

believe me, i know that a month seems a long way off, but from my experience this business will really test your patience. be prepared for the neurologist to see you, do the usual doctor test things and tell you to schedule a follow-up with the nurse. then you talk to the nurse and discover that follow-up is five months away, which seems like an eternity! try to remain calm, relax and get some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back