How often do you go back for testing/Emg to re-evaluate for als?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzy

Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Hi Friends,

Once given a diagnosis of PLS how often do you go back for Emg testing to make certain it has not progressed to als?

Is it the Emg that must show something in order to go from pls to als?

Thank you, Fondly,

Shizzy, my husband had 2 EMGs in early 2008 and again in Sept 2009. We changed doctors early part of this year so the new doctor wanted his own EMG. I don't know how the '08 ones compared to '09 but the EMG done recently was more extensive. Earlier EMGs were done on his legs only.

I think it must be very individual by doctor, the practice I go to hates to order EMGs. That bothered me after my progression sped up crazily, but I came to peace with it. What it is and the course it takes matters a lot more than a name!

Shizzy,

I was diagnosed with PLS in 9/2009. Both of my EMG's came out "clean".

BTW, I go to the doctor in Denver!

XO Valorie

If your condition changes to show muscle atrophy, my guess is the neurologist would then do another EMG.

Thank you all for your replies! How kind!

I was trying to figure out how the Dr asseses this disease & its possible progression to als. How can he examine LMN's without an emg.

I assumed they do an emg at every visit, otherwise, how can he be sure it has not progressed?

Thankyou, Fondly

Most doctors will watch like Kim said, and they will repeat emg if they feel it is needed, sometimes yearly.

With PLS, the progression is usually much slower than with ALS. If your progression speeds up and you have spreading weakness with visible atrophy, you will almost certainly have another EMG.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with bulbar PLS in 2006. In 2008 I noticed my limbs being affected. I didn"t have another EMG until 2009, which showed LMN damage. My diagnosed has been re-classified now to ALS.
So I would think that when new areas start being affected, or you start seeing marked advancement, request another EMG.

judith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back