Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
nl
State
zeeland
City
terneuzen
i am living in holland, but the my mother who has ALS live in China.
In China there is no "home care "centre,
so i am trying to ask via internet about the price of "cough assist"
and i hv to buy one via internet .

so maybe cough assist is cheaper in US?
can somebody tell me ?

if it is cheaper, i will ask friends there to buy one for me.
thanks a lot

linda

Hi Linda. This is just a guess but I was told a year ago that they were under $200. USD.

AL.

hi AL, thank you for yr reply.
200dollar! ? so cheap?
I check on internet , It cost 8500euro. what a big difference!
thank you !

linda

8500 Euros is outrageous. I called the ALS Society here and they haven't bought any for more than a year but said they used to cost around $180 Canadian.

AL.

Cough Assist

I hv just inform a company in Europe, they say Cough Assist cost 3800us dollar.
so strange that the price is so different.
thank Al

linda

hallo Al,
is there only one brand Cough Assist? Respironics?
why when i check with a seller,he said it cost 3800us dollar?
how strange!
tks Al

linda

I will call a company here in Canada tomorrow. I can not see why the price would be different by so much. Maybe we are talking about different machines. What was the model name and number you looked at.

AL.

Al and Linda,

Emerson Cough Assist is over 3000.00 US $.

This is a problem we had when getting ours from DME company. They were charging us outrageous fees monthly so we returned it and got one from ALSA on loan. They are expensive on open market and even thru insurance.

OK maybe we're not talking the same type of machines. I'm going to call my clinic tomorrow and ask.

AL.

Hi Al , the machine i checked on internet which is :respironics,the price is 3800 us dollar(hand control), and more than 4000 us dollar (automatic).
Is there another type of Cough Assist which work the same as the Respironics ?
if another brand which is cheaper , like 200 us dollar, and work the same, i would take the cheaper one.
but as i check now on internet, i only see Respironics.
pls give me advies. and thank you for all yr help.
Linda

As luck would have it, the lady at the clinic is on holidays. I called my Bipap supplier and they are familiar with a manual type. This is apparently like an Ambu bag where you squeeze it to put in a big breath and the suction created helps bring the mucus up. The lady is trying to get me more information. She will call me back when she findsout.

AL.

Ok folks, I was wrong. Sort of. The manual cough assist is as I said is a bulb type affair with a mask. You squeeze the bulb and it creates suction to help move the secretions. The automatic electric powered ones can be in the neighborhood of $5000. The manual one is around $100. Sorry I got your hopes up Linda.

AL.

Hi All,
My wife is currently in the hospital as she had a trach inserted in perparation for a vent. She can still breath on her own right now so this was premptive. The RT's wanted us to have a cough assist machine as they were not fond of deep suctioning. The automatic one's we looked at were aprox $5000.00 CDN. OUCH!
Mark

Hi Mark. Doesn't the ADP fund cough assists? The ALS society might be able to help but I know the Equipment Fund is really hurting money wise.

AL.

Hi Al,
Yes we are looking at those options. When we were told that it would be useful to have one I immediately googled to see how much they are. Hopefully we will get funding assistance. It seems just when we thought we had everything for Tammy something else is required.:lol:
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back