How long before a wheelchair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, I think your neuro and the ALS association should contact your insurance provider. they are just putting up BS to keep from helping you. There is a name for what you need to do--fighting their coverage decision--but I cant think of it right now (lack of sleep..) do not give in--it isn't like you will not need one

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm now OK'd for a pwc after I slid to the floor off a chair while trying to sit down. It was a gentle landing without injury thanks to my cals, but she had to phone for help to get me up. And then right before a PT visit, I exhausted my daily energy quota trying to negotiate a poorly redesigned bathroom. I made it to a chair and then couldn't stand up let alone walk, and arms and legs were twitching for most of the hour.

Sad that it took that. But now I need to find out about pwc models and options.

Last edited:
Do you have Ankle Foot Orthotics for your foot drop Patrick? They make walking so much safer and easier. Don't give up walking all together too soon if you still have leg strength. I used my AFOs for almost a year before they no longer worked. And I drove with them until about a year ago. My feet are very small though. A bigger foot might be a problem. I'm not sure about that.

My brother is using a walker and has trouble with just one foot and he uses a wheelchair when he's outside but likes to use his walker inside still. Better safe than sorry

We did the walker inside too, until a fall. The fall wasn't while he was using the walker, but after that scare, he went to wheelchair full time.

Answer. Two months.although i still use a walker. I now have a wheelchair
and two scooters because of information from this forum i have scheduled an appointment for a motorized wheelchair.for anyone

Richard,

Contact your ALS society there and get a PWC loaner (or the MDA) to use while you're in the being "fitted" process...and remember things like elevation and such that you're going to want 'later' if not now.

The Pals will chime in with specific ideas of what kind you may be best suited for. They're expensive and medicare only pays for one every 5 years--you want one with all the bells and whistles out of the gate if possible.

Tilt-in-space, recline....top priorities
Elevate is worth the out of pocket cost if insurance won't pay
Motorized leg/foot lifts
Will you need space for extra batteries to run equipment down the road?
Comfy head rest that can be removed
Contoured gel or Roho seat cushion
Hip guides
Lateral support for when you lose trunk strength
Arms must swing away for transfers
Attendant controls for later

The other thing to worry about with the walker is using it for too long. I used mine past the point because I was too stuborn to gived in. I was literaly pulling myself along with my hands. It cost me two carpal tunnel surgeries. Sooner is definitely better than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back