How important is Lateral Rotation (bed)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregK

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
I have been fighting with my Denver VA for over two years now trying to get a lateral rotation bed.
They initially, repeatedly refused the ProBed by Freedom Bed, saying that it is 'dangerous'. This is apparently because there's no clinical tests.

So, another Vet got a HillRom Progressa bed when he requested the ProBed. It does arguably more than the ProBed.

I asked the VA about the Progressa and was told that it's for ICUs.

WTF?

I'm now trying to find the official, clinical studies that show rotation of immobile patients prevents clots and pneumonia.

I will search on my own but was hoping that one or more of our professional researchers might assist.

I would have put this request into the Vet forum but I'm hoping the data will be useful to all pALS.

Weird response from the VA. My living room was essentially an ICU for awhile.

VA was very good for us.

Greg, are you working through the PVA? If not... with an ALS diagnosis the membership is free. The PVA knows what VA phone numbers to call.

In this instance, the PVA has been useless.

I don’t know anything about these types of beds. But my thought would be to contact the company/ manufacturer to see if they have any studies or data showing clinical benefits for preventing blood clots or pneumonia. If they can provide data, then you can use that to see if VA will cover cost of bed.

Greg,

I took a quick look at the literature and didn't see anything that would support CLRT (continuous lateral rotation therapy) in the home setting particularly. Likely, this is because manufacturers are not funding studies for home use beds that payors other than the VA are unlikely to cover, full stop. Kind of a chicken and egg.

Overall, most of the studies are in SCI in the immediate post-injury period, and I know the VA tends to be literal about such things.

One approach, since the VA has an ALS center network that is supposed to march in step, would be to try to connect your VA and one that has approved a CLRT bed for a vet with ALS. And of course the suggestion to ask the mfr for unpublished data and/or a sample letter of medical necessity is also a good one.

My experience with va in wv has been if it in the rules they have then I get it pvaor not but if not in rules they don’t want to think or act outside the box. Good luck greg

thanks.
The truly irksome thing is that other VA regions have provided both of these beds to pALS vets.

It is frustrating that they’re inconsistent with their policies.

When Bob was ill, we were offered the same bed, generously being donated by the widow of a veteran from New Jersey who died of ALS.

So, why him, but not you.

Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back