Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
WILMINGTON
please help

Hi all...first off let me start by saying I have been reading a lot of brave and encouraging people help out anxious and scared people...I have so much respect for pals being able to cheer up and make some else feel good...I have been feeling really down latley I have even been having thoughts of suicide...I am feeling so bad and my symptoms seem to fall right in line with als...everyday I look at my kids and say to my self I cant let them see me breakdown ....I have been feeling week for a long time and my joints have been popping a alot even more than they use too. After feeling some finger pain and stiffness also neck and chest stiffness and pain it took about 2 weeks for my whole body to lose muscle in evry part evenly...my body is twitching all over and I cant stop testing my strenght...my legs are feeling as weak as they ever felt and my foot is starting not to let me walk ...every time I squat my joints pop ...even if I yawn my chest pops...my tongue has not started to twitch and I can still talk and eat...I am just worried thows will go next...im fearing my chest muscles are going out beacause its harder for me to speak long sentences and to sleep with out pain ...please help

Re: please help

Hi Dame, First off I can allay your fears about als. From your symptoms, pain etc., you do not have als. However from your description of your anxiety and depression with suicidal ideation you need to get help immediately. I'm talking going to emergency immediately. You have dodged the bullet of not having als, but depression if untreated can be just as deadly. Get help NOW.
Vincent

Hi vincent thank you for responding ..I feel really scared about my symptoms it has taken control of me my chest is so tight and I can barley breath I got a chest xray and everything was fine but I know u cant check muscle weaknes in an xray ...I am tired of streeing my wife out with my problems I feel like I am a birden on everyone ...my joints hurt and pop all the time and my body has lost so much muscle ...I keep twitching and my foot hurts alot...thanks again for your post I am sorry I bothered

Dame,

You've been told your numerous symptoms do NOT sound like ALS in the thread you hijacked.

Stop posting in this forum and go find a health anxiety forum.

This is also not a suicide hotline. You can find one of those by using Google and your city name.

Go away; go somewhere that can help you. We cannot.

Ok I am sorry

Hi Dame,
First off. From your symptoms you described you absolutely in no way have to worry that is ALS. None and I mean None are ALS symptoms! You absolutely don't belong on this forum.
But, you definitely if you are suicidal need help immediately. Get off of here and call your primary physician a.s.a.p and tell them how down you are. There is help out there for your anxiety which is what is without a doubt the cause of your chest problems. I assure you that you aren't a burden to your family and that they love you. But, if you waste your time on here and don't get the help you desperately need for your depression you definitely will be. If you can't reach your doctor. Call a suicide hotline.
I expect you to now log off of here. Now make the necessary steps to get better now like I told you. Take care, Kim

How fast does atrophy set in?

Hi ALL I HAVE MADE A COUPLE OF MEMBERS A LITTLE UPSET WITH MY AST THREAD. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND....I HAVE JUST GOTTEN BACK FROM DR.S APP. AND THEY DID SOME STREGTH TEST AND TESTED MY REFLEXES...EVERYTHING CHKED OUT OK...BUT WHEN I GOT HOME I NOTICED MY LEFT CALF IS MORE WASTED DOWN THEN THE RIGHT ...NOW MY QUESTION TO WHO EVER IS PATIENT ENOUGH TO ANSWER , AGAIN I COMPETY UNDERSTAND IF YOUR TIRED OF PEOPE IKE ME...BUT I WANTED TO KNOW IF I HAD NORMAL MUSCLE IN LATE DEC.AND WAS PRETTY AVERAGE WEIGHT , IS IT POSSIBLE THAT ALS ATROPHY CAN CAUSE ME TO LOSE A GREAT DEAL OF MUSCLE ALL OVER MY BODY ...FACE ARMS LEGS AND BUTT...IN JUST ABOUT 3 WEEKS ?I HAVE BEEN PROSRIBED ZANEX AND PROSAC ,BUT I CANT HELP BUT THINK THIS IS ALS. MY MUSCLEDS IN MY LEGS ARE FEELING LIKE THEY WANNA CRAMP...AND I HAVENT SLEPT IN A DAY AND A HALF AND MY APPETITE HAS BEEN VERY LOW ,LIKE 1 TIME A DAY IW ILL EAT SO NERVOUS THANKS.

NO, atrophy all over your body does not happen in 3 weeks. EVER. YOU DO NOT HAVE ALS. Even your doctors have assured you. You have been told to find help for your debilitating anxiety. Please do so.

>Hi ALL I HAVE MADE A COUPLE OF MEMBERS A LITTLE UPSET WITH MY AST THREAD. ...AND I HAVENT SLEPT IN A DAY AND A HALF AND MY APPETITE HAS BEEN VERY LOW ,LIKE 1 TIME A DAY IW ILL EAT SO NERVOUS THANKS.

sorry all for replying to this noise, but it is rude to yell.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Dame, as you wrote,

("everyday I look at my kids and say to my self I cant let them see me breakdown.")

For the kids... please seek psychiatric help or some form of counseling. Your behavior (in writing posted previously) is threatening the welfare of those kids. Your are their mother. There is no shame or discredit in seeking help in this new pressure cooker world we now live in. Many counseling services are fee based on what you can afford. Again, for your kids.

(Many of the rich and famous almost take it as vogue to have a personal therapist.)

I second what Max and Clearwater said, and I hope you get the help that you need and the answers to your health problems. Meanwhile I am for praying for you.

I think we shouldn't respond to him anymore except to tell him to seek help for his depression and anxiety issues first. We shouldn't answer anymore medical questions for him because he will just get himself worked up and come up with even more questions. You are rght Lilac. I will pray for him as well. He needs help that we are unable to give him.

Thank you Skipper66, and I agree with you.

Wish there was a way to edit our comments once they are posted, but I see none.

Hi all have just been out of the dr.s I have noticed I have atrophy on my inside part of my left foot it feels wierd when I walk...my question is whe atrophy begins can u feel it.? Thanks

Go here for your answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back