How do I know when its time? Walker to PWC transition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for being too aggressive or critical toward the mods. I don't mean to be. I now realize you guys didn't design nor own the website. I just wish there was a way to communicate with you other than splashing this all over Debbie's post (like we are). This website needs some serious enhancements now that is growing so much. Again, i m truly sorry! TB

> I just wish there was a way to communicate with you other than splashing this all over Debbie's post

There is. It's called private Messaging, or PM. But I believe you have to have posted some number of posts before that feature is available.

Splash away folks, my post can take it. I'm pretty new to this group, and I found your convo to be educational.

TB, my neuro did a great job with my insurance disability paperwork, and I used her reports and other medical records to apply for SSD. It was approved in about 4 weeks from submission. I am fortunate that I didn't have the problems that so many do in getting approval.

Paulette, my husband is a good caregiver. I am so lucky. It is a second marriage for us, and we've only been married 2 years. When we got married, our thought was that my issues were from back surgery gone wrong, and that I could be "fixed" and we could have a long and happy life together. It's hard not to feel cheated sometimes and sad for my husband, who never bargained for the fate he's been left with. He never complains. He's always supportive. I guess what God has taken away from me on one hand, he's given back to me on the other.

So how's that for taking this post in another whole new direction? :)

Deb

Hi deb.
Two things I wanted to mention to you...but first Hello!
Knowing when to go from a rollactor to PwC. I have a stick and my beloved Henry. He's a scooter that my dog Lucy can jump on when she's tired when we go to the beach. We are three streets back from the beach...we aren't special...half of Geraldton is three streets back from the beach!
Anyway...as I'm terrified of this "use it or lose it...sooner", it depends on how tired I am or if I'm going on my own or with someone. Since my fall my hip has been bothering me so mainly Henry at the moment. Every time I go down the drive poor Lucy feels deserted! Good luck with that decision.
Also regarding the swimming. We lashed out and bought a spa...a jacuzzi/ hot tub...sorry not too sure what you would call it. I exercise in that every day because, like you, I learnt the hard way I can no longer swim! (Off topic rant: my mother in law can't understand why not, one armed people can swim!?)
Anyway the spa is great, lots of rails on the side to get in and out, no need to travel to the local pool and struggle with getting in and out, or deal with the change rooms. And best of all, I don't sink to the bottom or get stranded!
We weighed up the cost of the spa, electricity etc with going to the pool a few times a week and all the hassle that goes with that. The spa won hands down and I use it every day. I think I need to name the spa...
God bless, Janelle x

Janelle, I can't really swim anymore. However, I do get in the pool with a ski vest on and can float on my back and do the backstroke a little. I feel safe in the pool with the vest.

I'm glad the life jacket helps. Nothing worse than being stranded in water when the body doesn't work properly. I hope the swimming brings relief for you.
God bless, Janelle x

Hello back at ya, Janelle! Thanks for your nice chatty note.

My good news in the "use it or lose it" department is that I've been approved for botox injections in my calves. Appt is next week. Injections, plus PT may improve my ability to walk, making it easier to exercise at the gym! But, I am still keeping my PWC seating appointment, also next week.

We have a pool and a spa in our condo complex and I've had marginal success using both. I need a good quality float ring, so I can go into the pool without fear of drowning myself. Sounds like a simple thing, but I've had -0- luck finding such a device.

Deb

Deb, this may be off the wall but... check a good tire store. They have tubes (or can get) inner tubes for all sizes of tires. I saw someone using one that was about 30" wide but the tube itself was about the size of a loaf of bread. Maybe if you describe to them what your're looking for they can help. It'll be black but...

Something worth checking into, Al. Thanks for the thought!

Deb

> I need a good quality float ring, so I can go into the pool without fear of drowning myself. Sounds like a simple thing, but I've had -0- luck finding such a device.

back when I could use the pool, a noodle worked for me ...

Deb, we just got my husband a wet vest. Do a search for wet vest and it will come up. He used one in the Duke pool, along with a neck ring, and it worked very well.

Just an update friends, on the PWC. Had my wheelchair seating appt @ UoM on Tues and looks like a Pride Quantum Q6(?) is in my future. About 3-4 months away. The chair and a van to go with it is really going to open up my world. I have something to look forward to again. Better then any pill, IMHO.

Deb

>The chair and a van to go with it is really going to open up my world

you bet. go blue! wuck foody.

Deb, glad you finally got your PWC on order. I also have the Quantum Edge 6. It's a good chair with shock absorption so it doesn't beat you up as bad and it's good for inside/outside use. However, as my PLS progressed, it was necessary to add options such as powered leg raising and adjustable seat back. It was necessary to relieve foot swelling and comfort. I also had them add new gel-filled arm rests and a better lower seat cushion. I'm still waiting for this equipment to arrive as they said it would take 6-8 weeks. Maybe you could contact Brian at UofM and see if it's possible to add these features now. Brian is very good and is pro-patient. Just my suggestion since the enhancements are basically inevitable.

Good luck from your neighbor to the south! TB

The chair and a van to go with it is really going to open up my world.

Deb

Great news! Having the van and chair opened up my world for sure! I am sure you will enjoy having both.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back