Diagnosis
08/2019
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York City
I wanted to ask if anyone knows how “disabled” you have to be to apply for SSDI? Here’s my situation:I was diagnosed a few months ago. I don’t like my job (though the $ and insurance is good) and my main priority now is to use my time to reconnect with friends and family. So I’d like to apply for SSDI sooner rather than later. But in truth physically I’m still able to do my job. I’ve received conflicting advice on when I can apply for SSDI. One counselor said I can apply for it even though I haven’t left my job yet. Another said I had to have already stopped working and need to prove I am disabled. The second counselor seemed more informed, but looking at the SSDI requirements, I see the last bullet says: “The SSA will consider you disabled if:• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death” So, that sounds to me like anyone with an ALS diagnosis is eligible for SSDI? Anyone know how I can get clarity on this?

A diagnosis of ALS should be enough. However you must stop working before you apply. If you are working ( logically enough) you are not disabled. You could be out on disability and apply.
ALS is aTERI illness so your application should be approved swiftly but it is 5 months from stopping work to benefits

There is this document: Resource - Applying for social security disability

To qualify, you need a note from your doctor (chart notes are fine) documenting a diagnosis of ALS. You need to be not working at the time you apply, and you need to have a certain amount of work credits.

I recieved SSDI while on long term disability. I was initially diagnosed with CIDP, so I could receive treatments to rule out anything before I recieved my ALS diagnosis. I recieved the ALS diagnosis 2 days after I was awarded the SSDI. I then had to do an appeal for the Medicare waiver, which took a few months. It was 11 months from time I stopped working, until I recieved the SSDI.

Thank you all for the prompt and very helpful responses! I have a lot more clarity on the process now. Thank you!

SSDI will require the certified written diagnostic code for ALS from a Neurologist.
All other documentation will be verified also.

It does take some time but it does move faster than other disability applications.

Hope your employer offfers early medical retirement. A friend with als made good use of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back