Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Boston
I'm aware that in later stages of ALS symptoms present as True Weakness, but I was curious as to what many of you first experienced with ALS.

I found an interesting website that describes three different types of weakness.

Primary or true muscle weakness
This shows itself as an inability to perform what you want to do with a muscle, even the first time you try. There is a reduction in the force which the muscle can exert, however hard you try. The muscle is not working properly - it has become abnormal.

When this kind of weakness occurs the muscles are often floppier than usual, and reduced in bulkiness. It can happen, for example, following stroke. It is also seen in muscular dystrophy. Both of these conditions result in weakened muscles which cannot move the usual load. It's a real change in muscle power.

Muscle tiredness
This is sometimes called asthenia. It is a sense of weariness or exhaustion that you feel when using the muscle. The muscle isn't genuinely weaker, it can still do its job, but it takes you more effort to manage it. This type of weakness is often seen in people who have chronic fatigue syndrome, sleep disorders, depression, and chronic heart, lung, and kidney disease. It may be due to a reduction in the speed with which the muscle can get its energy supply.

Muscle 'fatiguability'
Some muscle tiredness is mainly muscle 'fatiguability' - the muscle starts off normally but tires very quickly and takes longer to recover than normal. This often goes with muscle tiredness, but is particularly seen in some uncommon conditions such as myasthenia gravis and myotonic dystrophy.

Would you guys say that your symptoms started out as muscle weakness, or looking back would you say that you first noticed problems with one of the other two kinds of weaknesses?

Thanks!

I only ask because, if ALS kills off the motor neurons in some parts of the body, wouldn't the other muscle fibers in that part of the body become fatigued quicker before there is any true weakness? Like, you have less muscle trying to complete the same task, so it would become fatigued quicker, right? Even if you are still able to lift as much as you used to on your first try?

Thanks!

I know you are not saying you think you have ALS but you don't and so I will just direct you to our sticky in that forum section.
It explains it all completely.

We don't need to go further into it as it just encourages people with health anxiety to imagine new symptoms.

Are you getting a degree or similar?
What's that thing called....thesis?

I get it, you want it from the horses mouth, so you go to the horse.

I definitely agree with Tillie however, an open forum is probably not the place to garner such information.

If you are indeed concerned about your own experience, please see a real doctor first.

All the best, Janelle

Yeah, no future, here, so closing this thread.

Duke,

If you have a less esoteric question that will advance scholarly knowledge, feel free to start another thread on the appropriate forum (not this one), but please consider carefully the limited time/abilities of those reading this before doing so.

If you have a personal health concern, please speak to that directly on this forum.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back