How did you find a private pay attendant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckhorn

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small town
My husband/PALS is at the point where neither of us feels safe leaving him alone for anything other than short periods of time. I am seeking advice/ideas from anyone who has found a "non-skilled", non-medical person to help out at home? We live in a very small town. I don't really feel comfortable placing an add in the newspaper.

The local college has a well respected BSN nursing program. Maybe I could contact them?

My sister has been staying with Dave on the rare occasion when I work, but she has had a spinal fusion and cannot lift. Dave is needing more and more help getting up.

TY.

Of course, contact the nursing program, post on the college jobs board, and do the same with any CNA schools in your area. Network with friends and family, specify you will train. Post on any general college/community college boards, too. And Craigslist.

We found someone by word of mouth when our MIL was needing more help. The same lady helped my FIL for several weeks before and after he had surgery to repair a hernia.

Buckhorn, it does sound like your PALS and mine are very close in this nightmare.

I hope you find someone great and soon. HUGS!

Thank you for your responses. I know there are legal ramifications regarding hiring someone "off the books" / non-agency, regarding taxation, possible injury/workmen's comp claims, etc., IF something should happen (injury/compalint).

I don't really feel comfortable placing an add in the newspaper.

This really complicates things. Help Wanted ads can be very effective, but nowadays the Internet is the medium of choice rather than newspapers. We posted on indeed.com and got some very good care workers.

Our best "skilled" care workers responded to help wanted ads. Our best "unskilled" care worker we found through word of mouth. We told all of our friends and acquaintances we were looking for a care worker, and one of our friends found the worker while chatting with her in the supermarket checkout line and learning she was looking for a position. It's all about getting the word out in your community.

Yes, I am showing my age when talking about placing an ad in a newspaper I guess! I am wary of on line sources like Craigslist, but I should investigate other options. We arenot members of a church. We are kind of loners and don't belong to any clubs or associations. That said, we have good friends that have offered help, but I think my hubby would be mortified if they had to help him in with toileting (eventhough one of our male friends has offered to come sit with Dave).

TY.

Very helpful thread, thanks!
I too have been thinking along these lines so as to not burn out my cals with all the little things.
Love ya
Chally

I found two women through a card game my friend plays every Sunday. I only hired one for one day a week but she has worked out great. She is willing to do more hours eventually. I hired some CNAs to help a friend when she was in end-stage kidney failure. They worked for $10 an hour and were happy to not work for an agency. They rotated shifts. We have a Facebook page for classifieds in the area and also an online newspaper. I advertised in both, then did two days of interviews to weed it down to 5 candidates.

Maybe one of your friends can help you recruit. Do any of them have church homes or belong to groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back