How common is: joint pain, tendon snapping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizna

Distinguished member
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
Hi,
Im curious if anybody experienced slight joint pain (i.e. when I double my fist or flex fingers, some of my finger joints a bit hurt), uncomfortable tendon snapping (with cracking, but mainly this snapping that is often really bad and causes almost painful feeling).
Thanks

Hi,
Im curious if anybody experienced slight joint pain (i.e. when I double my fist or flex fingers, some of my finger joints a bit hurt), uncomfortable tendon snapping (with cracking, but mainly this snapping that is often really bad and causes almost painful feeling).
Thanks

My joints seems to crack and pop allot more when BFS started. Some of my fingers feels stiff too. You are not alone, trust me on that one.

Yes when I walk I hear my hips popping and my fingers curl very painful

Pat

Hi, Blizna ... I have experienced tendon "snapping" in my hip joints (I think of it more as a thumping.) I had this about 8 or 9 years ago ... it was very annoying, and loud! I could feel the hip joint go thump, thump, thump as I moved my legs. Even turning over in bed produced it. And in Pilates class, the whole class could hear it and teased me about it.

I asked my doctor, and he said it is simply the tendons drying out ... probably from age in my case, but perhaps overuse and physical stress (i.e., wrong exercises that strain the joint) contributes to it too. What happens is that the synovial fluid that cushions the tendons in joints begins drying out, and so the tendons themselves dry out and can't move smoothly. They move in a jerk-jerk-jerk pattern.

Anyway ... there are things to do about it. One is joint replacement. Another is a fairly new techique I've heard about in which surgeons inject fluids back around the joint. The third has worked perfectly for me! It is doing an exercise in Pilates that specifically targets the hip joints, and little by little over the past five years, that jerking of the tendons has gone away completely. Even though i'm getting older every minute. :)

I continue to do this exercise with the "normal" springs the exercise calls for. (I've cut back the resistance I use on other excersises, because of ALS.) But apparently, you can restore the fluid around your joints with safe, careful exercise.

Anyway ... hope this helps. The snapping (or thumping!) has nothing to do with ALS.

(By the way ... you won't get this exercise in "East Coast Pilates," only in "West Coast," which is more creative and free, and more related to dance. )

BethU: Thank you. Yes, I used to make 40 pushup in 30 seconds without any warmup. I think that was pretty bad, because I was never "sporty". I was sitting and suddenly I jump on the floor and make 30-40 pushups, sometimes it was about 800-100 daily.
It was due to my fear of weakening of course, Im not as crazy :)

I have this. I have cracking ALL over my body and now my joints are popping in and out of the socket--this part is mainly my hips, pelvic bone, shoulders and knees. I also have NON STOP muscle fascilations all over my body, buzzing in my left foot, darting pains in my joints, and now I get muscle cramps

I have no diagnosed yet...I had a clean EMG but heard that does not disqaulify me so I am concerned again

So the cracking is a sign of ALS?

Joints popping out is not normally a sign of ALS. Joint pain is not common initially. I haven't a clue what you have but it doesn't sound like ALS to me.

AL.

I have this. I have cracking ALL over my body and now my joints are popping in and out of the socket--this part is mainly my hips, pelvic bone, shoulders and knees. I also have NON STOP muscle fascilations all over my body, buzzing in my left foot, darting pains in my joints, and now I get muscle cramps

I have no diagnosed yet...I had a clean EMG but heard that does not disqaulify me so I am concerned again

So the cracking is a sign of ALS?

NO.. infact, allot of people with BFS and fibromyalgia have it aswell.

Thanks for your repsonse...my neuro made me feel insecure about this today...I felt more at ease when my emg came back clear w my other neuro over amonth ago for todays dr to set me back again

Nobody seems to know whats wrong with me--I have seen many drs!

I appreciate you responding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back