Status
Not open for further replies.
Again Carol, thank you for the great advice. Have a wonderful vacation, you definitely deserve some Carol time.

Christina

There seems to be a misunderstanding about MSG and aspartame. MSG and aspartame *contribute to* causing ALS, which is not the same thing as saying in a simplistic way that they cause ALS. They might cause ALS in people who have other factors that contribute to causing the disease.

Some people apparently are invincible to ordinary amounts of excitotoxins, but if you have ALS and if it is progressing, you are not among those people.

I sortuv expected people in this discussion group to get information on their own. Click on the links I provided. Work. Or am I mistaken in my assumption that people here want to stop and maybe reverse this disease?

Thanks for the links Jerry...they have been very helpful...

I've been pretty overwhelmed about the changes I need to make to my diet. So much of my time is now spent trying to figure out what I can eat...

I was diagnosed'ed a couple of months ago - but before that I was slowly reducing the amount of meat I ate...I was starting to eat a lot more Tofu...and soy sauce was a staple in my diet.... now it looks like I should be avoiding soy based foods as well....

I was buying organic Tofu and soy sauce but I guess the real problem with soy products is that soy beans are naturally high in glutamate...

I know for sure that I need to avoid heavily-processed soy ingredients such as soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, hydrolyzed soy protein, texturized soy protein - but I'm hoping to find info that says that organic tofu and soy sauce is OK...

I'm trying to do my own homework - but would appreciate advice from anyone who may have previously researched this point...

Hello Jerry,
Your information has gone home, I assure you! We are very careful about any food, which comes with a label (seemingly innocent foods such as organic milk, yogurt, even chicken, when the packaging has a label). Strange, but myself, I have never been able to ingest any food or drink containing these ingredients - and not really knowing fully about the harm of MSH or aritf. sweeteners. Some sort of heightened sense of over-tasting, with a very bitter after taste. My father, however, was partial to cured meat, which is loaded with nitrates and MSG. I read, that in helps the wild, if an animal loses it's sense for bitter, it will die very soon. It's that sense which helps detect the poisons from the edible.

Re:

[quote:3736c160d1="rcharlton"]Thanks for the links Jerry...they have been very helpful...

I've been pretty overwhelmed about the changes I need to make to my diet. So much of my time is now spent trying to figure out what I can eat...

I was diagnosed'ed a couple of months ago - but before that I was slowly reducing the amount of meat I ate...I was starting to eat a lot more Tofu...and soy sauce was a staple in my diet.... now it looks like I should be avoiding soy based foods as well....

I was buying organic Tofu and soy sauce but I guess the real problem with soy products is that soy beans are naturally high in glutamate...

I know for sure that I need to avoid heavily-processed soy ingredients such as soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, hydrolyzed soy protein, texturized soy protein - but I'm hoping to find info that says that organic tofu and soy sauce is OK...

I'm trying to do my own homework - but would appreciate advice from anyone who may have previously researched this point...[/quote:3736c160d1]

You might be interested to know that tofu or soy is bad for ALS, tho not as bad as MSG. I strictly avoid tofu and soy.

When people start out avoiding MSG they usually get caught on a few things at first. There is a learning process. Even I got caught once or twice after being off MSG for years.

Only the paranoid survive.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
As a matter of fact they ARE out to get you; that's why they hide MSG inside other ingredients.

Organic does not mean safe. Many foods labelled "organic" have MSG in them according to the list of ingredients.

The glu (MSG industry) deserves a kick in the @$$ so hard that they gotta clear their throat to f@rt.

I like your last comment Jerry. You made me laugh out loud! Never heard that expression before.
Dana

Re:

Click on the links I provided. Work. Or am I mistaken in my assumption that people here want to stop and maybe reverse this disease?

We do work, Jerry. Not only do we work…we LIVE with this disease. Your comment is out of line and I’m surprised no one has called you on it.

We appreciate all of the information that you provide, but berating is not motivating. I’ve been to the websites you provided and it appears I must buy books and subscribe to newsletters (fee) to get the answers I asked of you.

We’re all here, at this discussion forum for the same purpose- the end of ALS.

I ask again, what foods do you eat in an msg free diet?

Cheers Jerry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it just ain't worth it Mike. A closed mind is like the door to nowhere. Who really cares what's behind it?

Re:

Sometimes it just ain't worth it Mike. A closed mind is like the door to nowhere. Who really cares what's behind it?

I hear you, brother!

Cheers

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid.

Glutamic acid, or glutamate, is one of the most common amino acids found in nature.
It is the main component of many proteins and peptides, and is present in most tissues. Glutamate is also produced in the body and plays an essential role in human metabolism.

Virtually every food contains glutamate. It is a major component of many protein-rich food products such as meat, fish, milk and some vegetables.

Glutamate and ALS
From the Riltek site...
The human body naturally produces a substance called glutamate. Glutamate carries signals to the motor neurons. This is one link in the chain of how the brain tells the muscles what to do. One of several theories researchers have is that in people with ALS, parts of the nervous system are overexposed to glutamate.A buildup of glutamate has been seen early in the progression of this disease. Too much glutamate “burns out” the motor neurons so that they can’t carry the brain’s messages to the muscles to tell them what to do. Although researchers don’t fully understand how Rilutek works, one explanation is that Rilutek may protect nerve cells from overexposure to glutamate.

Over 1,100 patients participated in clinical trials for Rilutek. During the first year of treatment, patients who took Rilutek had a better chance of staying alive compared to patients who took a placebo (sugar pill). However, by the end of 18 months, there was no difference between the Rilutek group and those on placebo. Rilutek is not a cure for ALS, and it cannot give back function that is already lost.

So the fact that the only drug that has been approved specifically for ALS, Rilutek, works by blocking transmission at the glutamate synapse.
The drug extends life, on average, only a couple of months, and that would suggest that the excess transmission at the glutamate synapse is a secondary and not a primary feature of the disease.

While I would certainly recommend avoiding MSG as an additive...
Avoiding foods naturally having glutamate seems a little 'overboard'.
The Nutritional benefits of a well balanced diet far outweigh the Glutamate downside.

Ok guys, natural debate is great, but the heat is rising over 30 celcius and it isn't outside.
Gotta try to remember that all information discovered and shared may one day be the link the medical community is looking for.. I agree when they want dollars to support their ideas, its a bit fishy. Books published are not necessarily a money grab. It is a way to get ideas out to the public in a specfic form, whether for information or enjoyment.
No matter what the cause, someone out there will see it as an opportunity.
I still believe that a well balanced diet, with caution towards prepackaged foods, which I believe have additives to preserve shelf life, should be carefully screened. Juicing, as Carol has suggested is wonderful. We could drive ourselves insane worrying about every morsel we eat. That or we could chose not to eat, and put A&P out of business.
Jerry, you have been extemely informative and a fighter to this disease by sharing what you are doing and why. Great! But your comment about "work" is a bit off.
Everyone here is working, or has worked. Try sitting out in 30 degress celcius weather, with a humidity level of 40 at 8 am pouring ice down your shirts to keep cool in the blazing sun as the walk- a thon -site is set up, heavy lifting for the Hercules type, spending months and months coordinating fund raisers besides the walk itself, (that would be Al and Lee and their family, and others who do not post on this forum), preparing, raising awareness in emails, phone calls, faxes, members organizing back up help, food, drinks, fun...... ..the list is endless. And then to have an estimated total of funds raised which more then doubled last years target, exceed our 'wishful' goal by almost 30,000.00, and more then doubled our walker participation. Now, in my book, that is called 'work', with a satisfaction rate when you see the results, is a high like no other.

Hi Theresa!

I surely appreciate your voice of reason when things appear to get rough!
I assure you though, I, in no way, write in anger. Disappointment in human nature, perhaps, but not anger.

I do question opinions held out as absolute fact though, I guess after 12 years of ALS, I've become a tad cynical. (Only a bit!)

Thanks for your level headed advice and obsersvations, though! You are a very reliable source for us to draw on.

Cheers!

Mike I can remember a few months back I did not agree with some of the ideas you put forth. You were not totally negative. You stated an informed opinion but still had an open mind. I think Theresa is right. Good to be informed but don't be totally negative and dump on others because they don't agree with your ideas. Not all of us here are rocket scientists. None have listed their ocupations in their profiles as such anyway. We are just everyday people trying to deal with a devastating illness in the best way we can. No one on this forum has the right to dump crap on others because they think they are right. Who is RIGHT ? We all are but don't dump crap on us because we don't agree with your ideas whether right or wrong.

Re:

You want links? Here are links. There are many more links besides these. You don't need to buy books or subscribe to newsletters. (Altho Blaylock's book is a very good book to buy.)

** LINKS REMOVED BECAUSE THEY ARE MISLEADING AND CONTAIN FALSE INFORMATION **

Al,
You're right on the mark with your last post!
Cheers brother! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back