Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today has been fun.

I had a to-do list that I figured I could knock out before DH got up.

- Call homecare provider, see if I can get more hours. Yes, out of pocket hours. Called early this AM. Whoever answered said that our coordinator was busy with payroll, but would call back as soon as she was done. Nope. Called again at 4, she had left for the day. Her supervisor said he will have her call tomorrow.

- Call DH's pain management doctor to get his script for MMJ renewed. This is the 4th call. No one answers - just rings over to voicemail. I think they may have closed. Now what? Guess I'll drive up there tomorrow when his aide is here.

- The lady who has the hospital bed that she wants to give to us only asked that we get movers. She sent me a lead on one - they don't cover our area. Called the ALSA to ask if they had any they could recommend. They didn't have anyone either. Apparently, not just anyone is willing to move and set up medical stuff. I'm going to contact Hill-Rom (the manufacturer) and see if they can give me a lead.

- Contact PT. At least she got back to me.

So I'm 1 for 4 by the time DH wants to get up.

Get him to the bathroom, ROM done, ready to move to the PWC. I'm moving it into position where I can hoyer him in, and I feel the back piece drop. Yeah, the whole back sunk down about 4 inches. Get him in it anyway, and it's so low that he can't drive properly with his head array. But he's hungry, so I got him out and got him some lunch (yup, it's already afternoon). Call the wheelchair rep. As I'm talking to him, I can see some things are out of place. He's on his way to an eval, but gives me some tips where to start. Get DH out of the chair and back in to bed. I ended up taking the head array and attendant control off and disassembling almost the entire back of the chair. I found what I think was the source of the problem. The last time a tech was out, there was a random piece that was off. He just re-attached it, admitting he really didn't know what it was. Well, guess what - I can tell him what it is now! I did manage to get it fixed to what I think is the right height again . Re-assembled and got DH back in the chair. Re-adjusted the head array. I'm not sure if it's 100% right, but it is at least better than it was before. He can drive again, and I can adjust more if need be.

Can someone just do their job? Is that too much to ask? Like taking care of someone all day isn't enough, I have to spend hours tracking stuff like this down?

And we haven't even had a chance to talk about the graduation situation!

Guess who had a margarita at 3 PM? I really shouldn't buy the pre-made stuff. Makes it too easy. Well, I guess it was 5 o'clock somewhere!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Cheers to you doing more that your job!

Jersey, I know a .250 batting average sounds pretty typical for many of us...very sorry that is your day.

if you print out a copy of the bed installation instructions that you can probably find on the net (let me know if you need help), a "handyman" type person who's comfortable w/ electronics (check NextDoor, Yelp, craigslist, TaskRabbit, neighbors' recos) can take apart/put together the bed once it's moved. It should only take a few minutes on both ends.

So I would separate the moving part (can be any bargain movers, so long as they know not to pinch wires or get anything wet -- tell them it's like a big TV) and the disassembly/setup part. Alternatively, the handyperson may know movers.

So sorry Jrsygrl those days are the worst.

Hugs

Yesterday was better.

Homecare finally called a little before noon. She didn't know if she had anyone who could do the hours I'm requesting. Seems where we live they don't have a lot of staff. I asked that if she didn't have anyone that she reach out to other branches (we're currently using Bayada) and see if they had anyone. I'm looking for someone to come one weekend day, every other weekend (I'd even do every weekend if that helped get someone) - very flexible about which day and hours. She's supposed to get back to me.

Drove up to the Pain Management doctor's office. They're open. The receptionist told me they're having trouble with their call center. Ya think? I told her I had been trying to get in touch with someone for a week. Left multiple messages, tried every option on the automated line to get a real person - nothing. Long story short, I filled out some paperwork and got his script refilled.

PT came. She had to do another initial eval, but at least we have her coming again. We'll see how long Medicare will cover, then go back to private pay if we have to.

Oh, and his PWC did not fall apart.

So I guess it was a good day.

Sounds like a bit better day.

Getting nursing was always the worst. We didn’t live in a good area either. I wonder if anyone does?

Hugs

Quick update. DH decided on Thursday night that the trip for DD2's graduation would be too much for him. His anxiety about it just got the best of him. Plans rolled back and re-adjusted. Tears between the 2 of us and again when we spoke to DD2. He did admit that he actually felt his anxiety level drop once he told me. I set up the TV so he can live-stream the ceremony.

So tonight his mom is coming so I can leave early tomorrow. His aide will come over to get him up, and a couple of times to check on him. She's an angel.

Meanwhile, I'll drive the 5 hours down, go to graduation and hopefully get a few pics then turn around and drive back in time to get him in bed. It's just what we CALS do.

I'm really feeling the collateral damage of this monster right now.

Hugs all around.

Last edited:
These situations are complicated, aren't they? I should book a plane ticket for my daughter's wedding which is in October and it's impossible to plan right now and decide how to go about it. Yesterday I made the decision to put if off til August. Hope you get some quiet time for yourself on the drive. And congratulations on the daughter graduating under these circumstances. That's great!!!

Sorry it came at the last minute, but I'm so glad he finally said how he feels and you have been able to change plans and still go yourself. Take care on the long driving!

Be careful with all that driving. I know exactly how you feel. Brian was not able to attend DD’s college grad either. So difficult.

I too am happy he finally expressed how he was feeling.

Hugs and try to enjoy

Happy Mother’s Day

Totally drained today, but I did it.

Made it down in just under 5 hours, even with the steady rain. Beautiful graduation ceremony. Got to stay for a bit to take some pictures, as the weather cleared just long enough. Looong drive back. 5 hours turned in to 7 with a combination of horrendous traffic and rain. Made it back at the stroke of midnight.

A few bumps at home with MIL taking care of DH, but thank God for my angel of an aide, who gave up her Mother's Day to come and get DH up and ready for the day and then came back to tend to him again later. He did get to watch the live stream.

SO VERY PROUD of DD2 and all her accomplishments! And glad I was able to spend time with her (and DD1) yesterday. Feeling blessed today.

Hugs all!

Happy you made it back safely! Congrats to your daughter!

So happy for you. Happy you could be there for DD2, and her huge accomplishment. And so happy it was safe travel even if it was looong. You doing that for her speaks volumes to her and others and to DH.

Praying you get some much needed rest tonight.

Hugs

Congrats to the graduate, Jersey, and to you, making the most possible of the occasion.

I'm so doing the happy dance for you on this!!!!!! 💃
Brilliant all round for everyone and huge kudos to that beautiful aide who went above and beyond.

DD2 will always have the best memories of you being there giving her your full attention ❤(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back