Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Richmond Hill
After months of tests to determine the cause of extreme fatigue, muscle cramps and other symptoms. It was originally thought that my problems were caused by a small tumor on an adrenal gland. All of that checked out OK. I was sent to a neurologist that specialized in neruo muscular issues. After a physical exam, he told me that he thought I had ALS, and I would get a complete neurological work up to eliminate other possibilities. It is clear that he believes this is ALS.
That sure rocked my world! My thought at the time was just how I was going to tell my wife of 33yrs. That was a week ago, and I still have not had the courage to tell her, other than to say, "they are going to do more tests." My wife and I are very close. She has always refused to talk about the possibility of my death, will not even consider keeping up with our finances it order to be prepared.
I think I can handle this, at least I am not afraid to die, but the path to that point with ALS sure is scary.
My biggest concern is how and when to tell my wife. Should I wait until it progresses and let her have peace as long as I can? I need someone with experience in this to help me decide.
Thanks

I am so very sorry. I hope that something unexpected turns up and the diagnosis turns out to be something else.

In my personal opinion you have to tell her. I understand your desire to protect her but she needs to know and you need her to know. You are partners now and will be partners through your journey. There is grief and adjustment phase that she needs to go through and the sooner she knows the better. There is life after dia gnosis and in order to enjoy it fully you need her to know.
Best wishes
Nikki

Sorry for what you're going through. I would urge you tell her. If you need help, bring her along to your next neuro appointment. People who are close, face these things together. Given you've been married for 33 years, you surely know this and you've surely had other bumps on the road.

The path is scary! I'm certain she'd want to help & support you - tell her - so you can navigate the diagnosis process together. (Since we know we're all going to die - seems futile to deny it.)

When are you scheduled for your EMG?

Totally agree with Nicki. my wife(of one year, three days) wouldn't let me go through this alone, and i am grateful for that..I too played things down for a while but can't hide it for long..we are a couple, we'll see it through as a couple
take care
Pete

Waiting now for a call to let me know when to go for tests, EMG, etc.

My wife is much closer than anonymous people on an internet site.

Thus, she would have been informed before I told the whole world via the internet.

why tell the missus when your still not diagnosed......keep it to yourself i say ...why burden her until you have too....and it may turn out you aint got it anyway......this thing is rare so theres every chance your in the clear.....johnny

my husband hid it (symptoms) from me for a year because he didn't want to burden me before he went to a doctor . I see the point, as it didn't change anything. but you are so close to a yes or no that I think you need to tell her so she can be there for you and so she can start preparing herself. She is a grown woman, not a child. if it turns out you are in the clear, it will open up communication as to the 100% fact of death for everyone and that you can not hide your head in the sand.

usually it is people hiding it from their kids and trying to figure that out. this is a first for me.

After searching for months for a reason for my husbands sy mptoms, I finally figured out it was ALS, I talked with a neighbor, and decided not to tell him. That lasted about 2 hours. My words to him were " I think I know what it is wrong, and it's BAD, real BAD." We did this together, and am glad I told him right away. Never regretted it.

When the neurologist had a diagnosis, my wife took me in to sit with her as the Dr told her it was ALS.

It was crucially important for me to be there, so I could ask questions and we could hear the diagnosis together.

been married 57 years, my wife attended every pre ALS exam, was with me when they said sorry you have ALS, goes to multi discipline clinic with me. sharing the burden helps. in the long run it is harder on the caregiver so treat her with respect and show your love

57 years! Congratulations. Wow! That is so beautiful - as is your post.

I also believe it's harder on the CALS who do all of the heavy lifting.

( my parents recently celebrated 71 years)

Hi and welcome,
it's such a personal decision, but whilst you may feel you are giving her some more time in peace, maybe she is noticing a lot of things and worrying quietly to herself too.

Facing it together may be easier on you both, but none of this is easy!

so sorry you are facing this

After months of tests to determine the cause of extreme fatigue, muscle cramps and other symptoms. It was originally thought that my problems were caused by a small tumor on an adrenal gland. All of that checked out OK. I was sent to a neurologist that specialized in neruo muscular issues. After a physical exam, he told me that he thought I had ALS, and I would get a complete neurological work up to eliminate other possibilities. It is clear that he believes this is ALS.
That sure rocked my world! My thought at the time was just how I was going to tell my wife of 33yrs. That was a week ago, and I still have not had the courage to tell her, other than to say, "they are going to do more tests." My wife and I are very close. She has always refused to talk about the possibility of my death, will not even consider keeping up with our finances it order to be prepared.
I think I can handle this, at least I am not afraid to die, but the path to that point with ALS sure is scary.
My biggest concern is how and when to tell my wife. Should I wait until it progresses and let her have peace as long as I can? I need someone with experience in this to help me decide.
Thanks

It would be a shame if your wife found out by a friend saying........" my brother's sister -in-law happened to be reading an internet site last night and there was a guy posting on it from Richmond Hill Georgia. You sure that isn't your husband " ?

Thanks everyone for your input. I told her last night, but I didn't go into a lot of the details of what may happen over time. Want to give her a chance to get her brain wrapped around it. Of course we are in this together. If I do have ALS then she has it as well. Glad that that part is over. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done.
Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back