Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
jersey city
My mom was diagnosed in 2008 and passed November 2013. JUST wanted to share how ALS changed me.. even though my mom is gone I still consider myself a caregiver and not a past cargiver because I think about all those suffering from ALS everyday.... just today I caught myself worrying about the storm thats approaching NJ and how that might cause power outages... I used to havr a phobia to germs and mucus and now I wouldnt think twice about wiping someone's behind or clearing mucus out of someone's airway if necessary. .. I am studying to become a nurse and hope to never lose all the patience and compassion that I learned from taking care of my mom.... I miss checking on my mom every hour in the evening but above all I miss her smile.

Wonderful, you are making a good thing out of something terrible, prayers for you! I'm sure your mom would be proud.

You are a wonderful daughter and I am sure that alone will make you a wonderful nurse. Prayers to you for comfort and peace. Good luck in your studies.

I am sure it gave her a lot of pride and peace of mind seeing you become the wonderful woman she knew would, nothing more a mom could ask for

I have been a nurse for 33 years, and still love it. Many nurses that I have worked with took the education, and then realized that they don't really like it, with the hours, shift work, working weekends, holidays, and the fluids etc. You have done it, under the hardest of circumstances, and if you now want to be a nurse, I know that you will find it easier than you thought. I know that my nursing career has gone a long way in preparing me for caring for my husband. I have taken a leave of absence so that I can care for him, but while I was still working I would go to work and find it a break for me. I work in a busy emergency department, so that is saying a lot.
Nursing is a very challenging profession, but also extremely satisfying, when done well. Good for you, and best of wishes in your plans.

I would like to give you a hint that has helped me when dealing with difficult patients. I don't know what your faith is, but mine is very important to me, so whenever I have had to deal with a difficult patient, I would imagine that it was really Jesus and he was watching how I would care for "the least of these". If you are not a person of faith, imagine that the difficult person before you is your mother, and treat them as you would have treated her. It is amazing how that attitude has seemed to affect that "difficult patient."

I always hope that after helping taking care of my husband, one or more of our grand daughters pick up the medical profession. They are 1-10 and have seen pretty much everything of fluids, urine, saliva etc, and don't seem to be grossed out. Our 5 year old in particular, runs to help and be compassionate any time she can.
I am glad you were able to take a bad situation and find your life work. God Bless you and God bless your mother and all the lucky patients that are going to have you as their nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back