10/2012
Country
US
State
OH
City
CUYAHOGA FALLS
Hello,
I hope you can please help. My husband has been diagnosed with ALS but right now he is still walking and moving relatively good, but he is in a lot of pain and is tiring easily. my question is: we have a 2 story house with the bedrooms and the main bathroom upstairs ( 1/2 bath on the first floor), can we work with our home (stair lifts) or will we have to move to a single story? building an addtion is not a option due to financial reasons

Thank you

how big is the first floor can you knock out some walls of the half bath to create a handicap shower and convert a room for a bedroom. don't be too proud to keep a living or family room this is much more important room big enough for twin beds later one will be a hospital bed, lift chair, tv and computer station and still room to manuever wheel chair

you definitely need to have a bedroom and bathroom the ground floor. I would suggest you make a move or remodel Asap before he gets any worse and it is an emergency. Pearshoot is right-- if you have a room downstairs you could convert into a bedrrom like a living room or office or dining room it would be much easier and really a better use of your home. cheaper than moving...

I think the bathroom is really the most important room to plan and make nice for a pals. it serves such a basic function, but having a big enough room gives a pals freedom and pleasure.

We have bedrooms and bathroom upstairs, but we have a big living room downstairs. We have been waiting for a stairlift but hubby's decline (weight loss, stiffening up) means he may not be able to use it, as everything hurts now. It's coming next week but is 5 months too late. He is so tired, he says he couldn't cope with the pain and hassle of going up to bed every night and getting up in the morning just for the sake of 'normality' (but he has been difficult all along!). We have made like a big bedsit downstairs and with no bathroom, we manage with commode and washing down with a bowl etc. I would second what Barbie said about a bathroom downstairs but we manage. It's not ideal but my hubby didn't want to move. Also, get set up sooner rather than later...hope this helps, good luck :)

Good advice. A stairlift is NOTa good investment for PALS. As it progresses the trunk muscles will become weak and he will be unable to use it. A power wheelchair is probably in your future so you would need a means of getting it upstairs as well so that he can move about independently. A roll-in shower would be ideal as he won't be able to step over even a small rise, and at some point will need to be wheeled in.

Several members have posted photos of their remodel in their albums. Many have offered tips about the planning as well.

Here in Ottawa, the ALS Society have skilled people who will come to your house and evaluate it for you, and with you, for free. Also, the clinic's Occupational Therapy department will send in folks to help in the assessment of your home and also provide helpful information, you may not have considered. It's so difficult to make such big decisions when one is in such a stressful situation- so getting the right information at the start, is helpful. (at least for me it is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back