Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
UK
State
Wales
City
Cardiff
Hi - My mother. who has always been a 'freezer', even when everyone else is warm, has started to feel hot, and even sweating (which is extremely rare for her), even when its cool. Is this an apect of MND or another disease? Thanks again :)

I've seen this discussed on a couple of threads. BTW, how old is your Mom? (Just to rule out the obvious.) I suspect when the nervous sysem goes haywire lots of things go amiss. But lets see what some of our PALS and CALS have to say! Cindy

Steve, when my son was around he would always tell me that he felt very hot. I don't know why, but he always complained about feeling hot!

Irma

Thanks for your replies. My Mother is 59 (and has passed you know what ;)some years ago). Sorry to hear about your son, Irma.

I've read that feeling hot/sweating is a symptom of various diseases. I'm just clutching at straws I guess :)

You're welcome Steve. Sorry to hear about your mom, too. Yeah, come Nov. 3rd, it will be 5 months since my son passed. It has been like years to me.

Irma

some statistical info re hypermetabolism in ALS

Hypermetabolism in ALS: Correlations with Clinical and Paraclinical Parameters
Jean-Claude Desporta-c, Frédéric Tornya, Mathieu Lacostea, Pierre-Marie Preuxc, Philippe Couratiera, c

Neurodegenerative Diseases 2005;2:202-207 (DOI: 10.1159/000089626)

Key Words

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Hypermetabolism

Abstract

Despite a reduction in fat-free mass (FFM), a hypermetabolism has been reported with an average of 10% in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients as compared with a healthy population. The objectives of this study were to confirm the level of hypermetabolism determined by using indirect calorimetry in 168 patients with a probable or a definite ALS and to study correlations with survival. Consecutive evaluations of resting energy expenditure (REE) were performed from diagnosis to the proximity of death in 44 ALS patients. Differences with the calculated value determined a REE. FFM was given by bioimpedance. At T1, REE was significantly increased by an average of 14% as compared with the calculated value. 62.3% of ALS patients were considered as hypermetabolic. REE was correlated in univariate analysis with age, sex, clinical form at onset, presence of a denutrition, weight, FFM, phase angle and ALS Functional Rating Scale (ALSFRS). In multivariate analysis, REE was linked to age and FFM. REE was correlated in univariate analysis with sex, phase angle and manual muscle testing (MMT). In multivariate analysis, age and sex remained significantly correlated. During progression of ALS, REE levels remained higher than calculated values with a trend to decrease at proximity of death, whereas FFM remained stable. From T1, survival was linked to MMT, ALSFRS, vital capacity, REE and phase angle. We confirmed the existence of a stable hypermetabolic state in ALS which depends mainly on age, sex and FFM. REE is a prognostic factor for survival in univariate analysis.

Copyright © 2005 S. Karger AG, Basel

Hi Steve,

It could be something as simple as a low grade infection. Have you taken her temp?

Mike

Is your mother constantlty feeling hot or does it come and go. I havent been diagnosed but
I've had episodes of feeling extremely hot to the point where my whole body was covered in sweat. My Md has given me lexapro for my anxiety that has helped me.
good luck cornelia

Hi all - thanks for the info. I don't think it's an infection, as she doesn't seem to have a 'fever' as such - I'll take a look at the temp. The trouble is she has only been diagnosed recently so I don't want to fuss over her too much as it worries her.

She doesn't feel hot all the time - its like her 'base' has shifted upwards from tending to feeling excessively cold throughout her life to being comfortable or warm even when its cool. Stay well all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back