Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
CA
Hi. I've had general, dispersed twitching for several years. But two months ago a persistent twitch began in my pectoral muscle. It has not stopped now for 8 weeks. It twitches every second or two with no break. I had an EMG and it detected +1 PSW in that muscle but everything else was normal. The neurologist called my study "essentially normal." Any advice? I've never had a twitch like this.

I would just ignore it and not worry. Make sure you’re keeping hydrated and cut back on caffeine. If the muscle is tight, a physical therapist might help. +1 psw in only one area with a normal neuro exam means nothing.

When folks who are diagnosed with ALS have twitches, do they stay continuous in one spot? Mine feels like a heartbeat. I haven't seen reports of this on the BFS forums, so I was wondering how early twitches usually manifest in ALS.

First, twitches usually come after, or simultaneously with clinical weakness. Weakness definitely was first for me and my relatives.

secondly neither continuous or like a heartbeat sound like my twitching experience

thirdly, twitches don’t matter. Clinical weakness ( detected by a doctor) matters

Thank you for responding, and I'm sorry that you are going through this.

Sorry to inquire again, but I'm now on month three with no relief. The pectoral twitch has been incessant for 10 weeks. It is generally slow, like a heartbeat, but a few times -- and twice recently -- it started to "tweak," with my pec rippling for 15 minutes or so. I saw a second neurologist who thought there could be mild atrophy to the muscle, but he said this is not how ALS begins. Wondering if there's anything to put my mind at ease, since the non-stop twitch (and the appearance of a dent in the muscle) are throwing me for a loop.

Same answer as before. Twitching means nothing. Dents mean nothing. You might twitch for years. It means nothing unless you have muscle function failure. See your doctor if you’re still concerned.

Totally agree with Karen - twitching means nothing. Really we wouldn't say that if it wasn't true.

Thank you for your responses. It just keeps getting worse -- now every night it ripples away, my whole chest freaking out. I understand that without weakness it may be nothing, it's just hard to understand what would cause my chest to twitch for three straight months.

Without weakness it IS nothing.
Seriously, we’ve answered you. Please read though this thread again as well as this important attachment:

Please get help for your anxiety. We can’t reassure you more than we already have.
I’m closing this thread. Please do not start another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back