Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MM
Good afternoon,

I'm having a bit of a health scare, but am trying to take it in stride. I lost a close friend to ALS while we were in our late 20s, and I'm sure that the memories of him are giving me a fair bit of bias. I was in the hospital for the past three days with weakness in my legs, as well as muscle twitches in my feet and legs. Currently I can still raise my feet, but have a noted "weakness and mild foot drop" in my right foot per the neurologist. My reflexes were "brisk" in my lower extremities, and were easily found (other than one incidence of them being able to find ankle reflex - I was probably tensing up if I had to guess). I guess my big question is, does this sounds like it could be the beginning of ALS? Or have I likely sustained a use injury? I'm currently waiting on an appointment for an EMG hopefully within the next week or so. For more background I am 32 years old and relatively healthy with no other health issues.

Best regards, and thank you for your patience. I admire each of your bravery with the utmost respect.

Joe

*additional note. I am unable to heel walk at all.

Hi Joe,

There's really nobody here that can substitute for a good exam and an EMG. Your age is in your favor and foot drop can be a symptom of other things. The EMG should help your doctors figure out what it is and what it isn't.
I'm hoping you'll come back and report after your EMG. In the meantime, please try to do things to take your mind off of health. I know that's easier said than done.

Kim,

Thank you very much. I hope to come back after my EMG to report the all clear. I'm just very, very scared. I appreciate you reaching out.

Joe

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a close friend to ALS. Just witnessing it does something to you. So the bias is real and it's a good thing you're aware that brains tend to work this way. There are much less scary reasons for foot drop and the chances are highly in your favor. Kim said it all, try to keep your mind off it, have the EMG and trust your doctors. Wishing you patience and good distractions!

I just wanted to return and follow-up. I've got my EMG results and while abnormal, the neuro said ALS shouldn't be something I'm concerned about. They've narrowed it down to bilateral peroneal nerve injury (likely from poor posture/sitting crosslegged). Attached is their interpretation.

1656103490073.png

Having spent time researching, and learning about the trials PALS go through I would like to find a way to give back. Is there a specific organization that you would recommend for a donation? Or even better, some way to reach out and volunteer to help those with ALS? I'd be much appreciative.

Thank you for your time and compassion.

Joe

Congratulations. Wishing you a swift recovery.

everyone has favorite organizations of course. If you are primarily interested in research look at the big ALS center in your state or area. For a mix of research donation, advocacy and patient resource there is IAMALS. There are many other choices of course

Nikki,

Thank you. I'll take a look at the ALS center for my state like you recommended. I'm still coming down for the anxiety of the week and seeing the abnormal show up, but I'm going to do my best to trust that the doctors would have said something other than what they said if the signs were there.

I wish you nothing but peace and happiness,
Joe

Thank you for updating us. That's very good that ALS has been ruled out with this EMG. If I understand correctly, in a stage where light foot drop would occur in ALS l, it would never be able to hide in an EMG exam.
I too wish you a quick recovery and full use of your strength and legs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back