Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
Vernont
City
Burlington
We're looking at hospital beds. I'm short and the I will have a small room so don't need a big bed. Any suggestions? What is the best mattress?

Be sure and get a nice firm mattress whatever brand you choose. Since you can't use a box spring with a hospital bed, it's going to be much softer. Tom has a hospital bed and I have a twin right next to his. Even though we have the same exact mattress his is quite a bit softer. His tends to "bottom out" and sag in the middle. Even when he could still turn over by himself it was hard for him to do it in that bed. Lots of people like memory foam, but we haven't tried it.

If you are looking at a memory foam be careful because the person cannot turn in it. You remain stationary. Memory foam does not allow the patient to turn. We went with an adjustable bed. My husband will be bedridden in the near future and we wanted something for his comfort so he can watch TV at any angle. The top mattress is soft but the support and feel is amazing. The bottom mattress makes up the difference. This was Drs. orders.

Becky,,

I don't believe hospital beds come in any other size but twin X Long. Its just a few inches longer than a twin. When you combine it with another twin X Long it becomes an Eastern King or just a King sized bed. I gather from what I read, you will be sleeping in the room alone because of size.

The important feature you need to make sure your bed has, is the whole bed raises and lowers. I don't mean the head and foot but the whole bed. This way your husband can raise it up and not have to bend down as much. Raise it when lifting, changing nappy, changing sheets, bathing you et cetera. Then lower to put you back in bed. Your caregivers back will thank you for choosing this feature.

As for the mattress, I told somebody who posted this same question, that I'm taking the princess and the pea approach. I get 1 try it and then move to the next one. I just want to be 110 percent sure before I settle. Insurances only cover 1 bed in 5 year time periold, so try before you decide. One D M E told me to get the gel filled topper. That's my next choice.

Good luck and happy sleeping!

Fully electric is the ONLY way to go. Insist on it!
I can lower mine almost to the floor which makes dragging my legs into bed a lot easier. I can raise it up high enough to stand up when I'm ready to transfer to the pwc. It also makes it easier on the caregivers' back as your CALS may come in varying heights.
Make sure to get one that can tilt the whole bed both up and down. This will allow your CALS to use gravity to move you up or down in the bed.

I'd reccomend straight head and foot boards rather than curved. It will be easier to hang equipment on down the road.

I tried a SpanAmerica Pressure guard APM. It has circulating air and was very comfortable. Too soft to allow me to turn over or sit up without a great deal of effort and frustration. (I have no movement in my R leg and L has considerable weakness and R arm is weakening) Once I managed to get onto my side, the air shifted out from under me and tipped me back onto my back. This mattress will be perfect once I'm no longer moving on my own.

Right now I'm using a Maxifloat, pressure reduction mattress.manufactured by Encompass TSS. It's comfortable, still a bit on the soft side for being able to turn with little help from my legs. (I actually miss the circulating air under my legs at night)

My bed is a Joerns. It has a hand controller as well as controls built into the footboard. I would have loved to have had controllers built into the inside of the side rails on both sides. (I worked with an MS Client who had a Hilrom that had this feature)

Happy shopping!

Be sure and get a nice firm mattress whatever brand you choose. Since you can't use a box spring with a hospital bed, it's going to be much softer. Tom has a hospital bed and I have a twin right next to his. Even though we have the same exact mattress his is quite a bit softer. His tends to "bottom out" and sag in the middle. Even when he could still turn over by himself it was hard for him to do it in that bed. Lots of people like memory foam, but we haven't tried it.

I second this :)

Remember what is comfortable today may not be comfortable down the road. The biggest issue with total bedrest is pressure sores--they are to be avoided at all costs. A rotating air mattress or a gel mattress can help prevent them.

I have a hospital bed that is miserably uncomfortable--so I have an air thingy on it and a 3 inch thick foam pad. Definitely full-electric, too. It's generally less expensive to buy one than to rent one.

If your copay is very high--check places like CL for less expensive ones. I got mine there--and it has massage, which helps me greatly.

Just wondering how you are able to 'try' mattresses and then try another if you don't like it. Is this through insurance or just on your own purchasing a bed/mattress? Are you able to 'send them back'? Thanks.

A fully electric bed with a rotating air flow mattress came Friday. Thank you everyone for your help.

Woohoo! Enjoy your sleep!

I don't know how short you are, but they do make pediatric hospital beds. When I was in the surgical table business we sold pediatric tables to Asia. Just a thought. Good luck!

Does anyone know if you can test a mattress? Or just get one and send it back (and what you use in the meantime)...?

Helen, ask Toto. It sounds like she's trying them out.

I sell mattresses and some of the cos. offer a 90 day test period for a price. I wish i knew exactly what you wanted and i could sell you one at cost and ship it. If you go to your local mattress store and find exactly what you want i might be able to help you. I have a friend that was just diagnosed and he thinks latex feels good and that is what i'm getting him. Memory foam (visco-elastic) comes in many different feels and contours to your body as well as latex. Try and stay away from air because it displaces all your body weight. Contact me if you have any questions or what you should be paying for a mattress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back