hospice thinks I'm getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. I have a nurse I see every month for my port, and for months she'd keep saying things like "well, hopefully you'll be better soon," or "when you get better you should..." etc. I didn't have the heart to break it to her so I'd just deflect. When I finally told her ALS is terminal she burst into tears and I had to comfort her!

Oh man. I have a nurse I see every month for my port, and for months she'd keep saying things like "well, hopefully you'll be better soon," or "when you get better you should..." etc. I didn't have the heart to break it to her so I'd just deflect. When I finally told her ALS is terminal she burst into tears and I had to comfort her!
😳

I have mixed feelings about that Kristina. She was clueless and should have looked up ALS when she started seeing you. But at least she cared! Sorry you had to comfort her though!

Reminds me a bit of the nurse who called from my mailaway pharmacy and said my insurance required her to check in monthly. First question rate your disease severity on a scale of 1 to 10. Someone must have reviewed it because I never got another call. That was a specialty pharmacy that did a lot of oncology so I suppose it might have more relevance for those cases with potential for improvement

Nikki agreed she is a very sweet lady and I appreciate that she cares. But it highlighted for me how I find myself in the odd position of comforting others about what's happening to me. I don't hold it against anyone but having to be the strong one is hard when you are struggling to cope yourself.

In this situation with the nurse I tend to look at it with a bit of humor. Just another day in the life kind of thing.

No you definitely shouldn’t have to comfort others though I think we all end up doing it on occasion

Yesterday, a morbidly obese woman who smoked for years and now has COPD (she doesn't need oxygen yet) asked me to get her something because her back hurt. I was experiencing some pretty bad pain when she asked and just getting settled on my back cushion at my table.

I won't tell anyone what went through my head but Greg House would have been proud.

I won't tell anyone what went through my head but Greg House would have been proud.
so I have to ask Kim - did you get up and get it for her?

Ok, what was this nurse smoking before she got to your house. I guess your husband was another of those “healed” enough by hospice that he could actually get up and walk in the end. :)

Tillie, another player was very close so she just handed it to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back