Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a trache and vent is for when you can no longer breathe on your own. And yes, it is your choice, no one can force you to get one.
Actually just about everyone in the medical community will encourage you not to get one so it is very easy to decide you don't want one.

Thank you Joel

I guess ALS patients pretty much treat themselves as symptoms arise. All the doctors my husband has been to and really there is nothing they can do except tests and more tests, medicines, and more bills. It's a crappy disease but I know there is a purpose for every person on the earth and sometimes our faith has to take over.

Yes, they can choose by having a living will with a "DNR" Do not resusitate. If they choose to be trached and put on a ventilator they can live a lot longer but you have to weigh the pros & cons. Does the person have a family who is able & willing to be caregivers for many years? A vent patient must have 24/7 care. There is a huge financial impact. It's hard to find caregivers who know how to care for vent patients.

It's a hard decision to make but I believe most people choose NOT to be trached.

I guess ALS patients pretty much treat themselves as symptoms arise. All the doctors my husband has been to and really there is nothing they can do except tests and more tests, medicines, and more bills. It's a crappy disease but I know there is a purpose for every person on the earth and sometimes our faith has to take over.

Let me just say that at my Mom's Memorial Service a few wks ago, there were tons of people who said that she was such an inspiration to them. She touched many people's lives over the 25 years that she had ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back