Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
I'm on a photography website and was horrified today to see a photo taken by a nurse in a nursing home in the UK today. It was of several people doing an ice bucket challenge.

The text accompanying:
"This is something that the managers at our care homes are doing as a bit of light relief for the staff. This is my manager & deputy manager getting absolutely drowned by staff this afternoon. A lot of fun was had by all, even by the cold & wet!
This is actually a still shot from a video."

I asked her was this for MND Awareness month?

She replied "that’s what it was originally done for. I think in this instance it was just for fun."

Wow just wow - health professionals and clueless?

I think a fair number of health professionals never encounter ALS or only in passing. I told an lpn once my sister had been diagnosed with ALS she replied very offhandedly oh sorry. I don’t think she knew what it was. And a nursing home RN was amazed to learn that ALS occurred in women. He thought it only affected men and MS only affected women which is not true either. He at least knew what they were and had cared for both- was also willing to learn.

of course the ice bucket was used for other diseases before it took off for ALS. I understand the need for stress relief but it is a very odd choice and insensitive to the ALS community given the history

thanks Nikki - seems awfully insensitive this month in particular being ALS/MND awareness month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back