Distinguished member
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hi All,
I dont post much because I honestly have not gotten anywhere in a years time other then deterioated. Anyway, one question I cant get answered is, is popping of joints truely a symptom of ALS. My 2 shoulders in specific pop VERY LOUDLY and obnoxiously. I didnt injure them. I have atrophy in them(by my own eyes). The neuro told me to go to an orthopedist which i did. He did ALL the tests.(MRI/Arthogram,etc) Nothing structurally wrong. do PALS have the same problem with there shoulders?

None of my joints pop. Get the odd shoulder clunk during ROM exercises.
AL

The Bones and joints need the muscles to hold them in place ,if the muscles atrophy ,logic has it,the joints will wander out of place and what you'll hear is a pop when it pops back in place . Arthritis is much like it but no muscle atrophy ,but the cynovial joint deteriorates which makes a gap in the ball n socket joint . Its a real shame your Doctor cant explain that in terms you can understand . ? You ever wander why they DONT ? Muscles are like strong rubber bands BUt normally they can relax and contract ,ours dont GEO

Hey Lou

Question for you: do you have "winging" of your scapula. The popping might be originating from your scapula and not your shoulder. Winging would occur with atrophy of the seratus anterior muscle, which is difficult to notice.

P.S. Again, I don't think you have ALS!

My shoulder joints now pop audibly many times a day. I do have winged scapulas also. In range of motion without popping there limited to roughly 50 degree's then the pain starts. I also sometimes have a burning sensation in the joint that improves for me with 1-2 licorice root pill's, not taken regularly nor is this a cure all just an improvement. My shoulders first really sprung and pained me straining to lift large garage doors in 1974. My left side is weaker today due to years of favoring that side to lay on further isolating those muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back