Hoping you can tell me i don't belong here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckles

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OR
City
Eugene
First off thank you for letting me post here, and I hope for nothing else than to hear you say I clearly do not have symptoms pointing to ALS! However, it may be a possibility.

I had severe carpal syndrome, surgery performed, numbness and tingling finally gone. Almost three years ago!

Then, it seems the atrophy in my hands has continued, albeit slowly, and functionality is swiftly leaving. My palms have a "scooped out" look, one more so than the other. Pretty close to the split hand look where the hypothenar looks more fleshy than the thenar emminence (sp?) and the latter is greatly reduced. I can't button my clothes, open jars or bottles, or hold onto even light weight items without dropping. I have no sensory deficits anywhere.

Where i think i may not have ALS (I hope you who know about such things agree with me!) is this very slow onset of years from surgery to these flat hands i seem to have now.

My doctor sees the atrophy in my hands and i have the NCV/EMG on July 23rd. Then the "probable neurology referral" after that.

Thank you for your time!

The inability to do something that you used to be able to do (buttons, jars, bottles etc) is worrisome, however there could be many things higher on the list of things than ALS. Are you at a desk all day, leaning on your elbow?

I'm so glad you are going to the neurologist in just a few weeks (😊). In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy, get out and enjoy walks with your family, and take some you time if needed.

Please update once you've had your EMG. Fingers crossed for you!

Last edited:
note @Bestfriends14 the appointment is in July, so just a few weeks away.

Chuckles, there are still many options to investigate, and I truly hope whatever is going on is identified quickly and can be treated. Please let us know once you have EMG findings. Try to make the most of your time in between - during our diagnostic process we really concentrated on making the most and making great memories and I will never regret that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back