Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I know this is not related to ALS but Alzheimers is a Neurological disease but...
it is related to proteins and amyloids.

But again... HOPEFULLY this might create some research concerning ALS.

Transcranial electromagnetic treatment breaks down clumps of toxic proteins

A head device that zaps the brain with electromagnetic waves appears to have
reversed the effects of Alzheimer's in a trial.

Eight patients with mild or moderate forms of the brain-destroying disorder took
part in experimental transcranial electromagnetic treatment (TEMT).

It involved them wearing a skullcap of magnets which sent electric pulses to break
down build-ups of proteins known to stop nerve cells working properly.

TEMT works by breaking up toxic clumps of proteins called amyloid-beta and tau,
the formation of which is thought to be the cause of Alzheimer's.

Seven of the patients showed a 'highly significant improvement' in tests of their
memory, language and function.

Some Neurologists have said there is a possibility of a relationship with the proteins
and amyloids of Alzheimers and ALS.

FTD is part of ALS.

Maybe one of the members who are more knowledgeable concerning proteins and
amyloids than I can comment.

Last edited:
Interesting Al. Thanks. I believe this is another name for TMS Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. There was a study using it with ataxia a year or two ago ( small preliminary needs more study)

TMS has been used in a couple of studies for ALS- the retigabine study and the NIH C9 study that I know of but they were looking at it as a measure of UMN dysfuction. I think in other countries it is used to help with diagnosis. Of course the treatment dosing would be much higher and more prolonged

If it helped of course I would try it but I found it very unpleasant. The doctor doing the consent blithely said oh it is just like someone tapping your head. Like hitting your head could be more accurate. Repeatedly in escalating intensity ( think ncs and how the shocks escalated). I had a headache after each time. And treatment would be much more in length and probably intensity

They used it in beginning around 2000 to treat medication-resistant depression. They thought it might replace ECT (shock therapy.) It did help some but, overall, it was disappointing. As regards other disorders, who knows.

There is a clinical trial recruiting participants now for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. However, the goal is to help treat apathy and depression in PALS, and not the disease itself.

What caught my eye was...

"TEMT works by breaking up toxic clumps of proteins called amyloid-beta and tau,
the formation of which is thought to be the cause of Alzheimer's."

"Seven of the patients showed a 'highly significant improvement' in tests of their
memory, language and function."

No one has said that Proteins and Amyloids are NOT a part of the problem
concerning ALS. If I recall... that is what a lot of the ALS research is focused on.

Maybe in the beginning it was played with for treating depression and apathy
but like so many new treatments... they learn it has positive effect in area they
didn't expect.

Any treatment or test may be uncomfortable. Some PALS member posted they
have had 6 EMGs.... they ain't no pleasure! I'm sure the last four were voluntary. ??
Either is an NCS. Chemo and Radiation aren't comfortable treatments but they
cure or at least extend life.

All I'm saying is something like this I wrote about above just might lead to
to a new approach. We've got members getting into all kinds of off the wall
trials, diets, protocols, trips to Mexico, stem cell implants and whatever.

But...

"Seven of the patients showed a 'highly significant improvement' in tests of their
memory, language and function. Maybe... just maybe.

PS. For new members not familiar with me... my wife has been diagnosed with
the onset of Alzheimers. The past year I have probably read more about
Alzheimers than I have kept up with ALS.

The more I read I believe (my opinion) someday there will be discovered link
between Alzheimers and PLS as their discovery goes deeper into the brain.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing. As someone who has had more than a dozen emgs and an equal number of spinal taps I found the tms harder to tolerate but of course it would be worth it to get better

In my post above, last paragraph, I mistakenly typed PLS.... it should have been ALS.
Maybe both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back