10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Edmonton
Hi folks,

Here's a tip that has worked for me a number of times. Purchase a small wallet with lots of those clear plastic credit card flaps. Then get some blank business cards from Staples or some other stationary store.

Sit at your computer and come up different common phrases you might use day-to-day or emergency contacts etc. Print them out and stick 'em in the wallet and you have a homemade communication device for under $50.

This has reduced a tremendous amount stress on me, if I happen to go out on my own, worrying that people may not understand me. If I go to Tim Horton's for a java, I just whip out the card asking for a double double. (My American brothers and sisters may not know: that's 2 cream, 2 sugar-not 2 minor penalties in hockey):wink:

Some other phrases I use is asking where the washroom is/what kind of haircut I want/favourite meal at a restaurant, that kind of thing. I usually start the phrase with “I have ALS which affects my voice...” I also have a couple of cards for emergencies explaining my condition and who to contact, in case I get in trouble of some sort.

Hope you find this useful!

Great idea Mike! Are you going to be at the walk on Saturday? I would like to meet you and see your card collection if you are. Just ask Pat to find me and I will come and see you.

You bet! Let's hope the sun comes out too!

Great I will see you there! According to the weather forecast Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 25, it is pouring cats and dogs here today so here's hoping the forecast is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back