Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
Hey everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. Mom is 52 years young and was diagnosed this past September. She has decided to get the feeding tube and although im a little scared for her but I am glad she changed her mind. Theses past few months she has become totally dependent. She can barely walk with assistance and needs a lot of personal care. I stay with her while my dad is at work during the week usually 8-6 p.m. My sister would fill in on Wednesday s, but she recently took a new job where she can no longer take any day during the week. That leaves me "working" during the day and working at a retail job Saturdays 9:30-715 Sundays 10-6. I didn't realize how exhausted I would be. I just want one day to myself. Its so hard to find help. We really don't have anyone. There is also this four day trip in September all my friends are attending, and we have no one to stay with mom. I looked into home healthcare...$ 20/hr? Shew. Any thoughts?

Would friends or church members help out a few hours? An ALS support group may have suggestions of health care aides not associated with a company - they will likely charge less. Some companies charge a bit less if you do longer hours, but the cheapest I found was $17 for 8 or more hours. There are on-line sites that let you register the things your mom needs (hours, care, errands, etc.) and then you let all your friends and family know and they can go to the website and volunteer for things. People usually want to help but don't know how. Perhaps someone will chime in with the websites' names.

That's the going rate here. $20 an hour. Mich has some good ideas. Contact your closest ALSA for help with this.

It's tough. Please be aware that CNAs through an agency are going to be limited in the services they can perform. The ones you are likely to run into first are giving medicine, anything into a PEG, and oral suctioning. Those will take a LPN or RN, at least with an agency.

If you hire privately make sure you understand if they will do absolutely every detail.

you need to figure out a way to go on that trip--I am sure your mom would want you to go. You do have time to start planning now--talk to friends, other relatives, your sister and your dad. if you can get 4 people to each take one day--you can do it. We have a CNA that comes everyday for 4 hours a day and she costs $15/ hr. it is a lot, but so worth it for me. she does everything but give enemas (we dont' have a peg or vent).

I asked friends if they could think of anyone who might be interested. the 2 that worked best both worked in nursing homes. I paid them $12/hr which was $2/hr more that they made at the nursing home with much easier work. No matter who you get you need to train them on what to do and how to do it. I hired an RN on my MIL's insistence and although bubbly, she was a complete idiot and really had little hands on experience compared to the ones who had worked in the nursing home. I didn't bother with an agency again after that ding dong RN.

We had an RN like that through my mom's hospice. We filed a complaint with the agency and she no longer works there.

Hey everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. Mom is 52 years young and was diagnosed this past September. She has decided to get the feeding tube and although im a little scared for her but I am glad she changed her mind. Theses past few months she has become totally dependent. She can barely walk with assistance and needs a lot of personal care. I stay with her while my dad is at work during the week usually 8-6 p.m. My sister would fill in on Wednesday s, but she recently took a new job where she can no longer take any day during the week. That leaves me "working" during the day and working at a retail job Saturdays 9:30-715 Sundays 10-6. I didn't realize how exhausted I would be. I just want one day to myself. Its so hard to find help. We really don't have anyone. There is also this four day trip in September all my friends are attending, and we have no one to stay with mom. I looked into home healthcare...$ 20/hr? Shew. Any thoughts?
You don't live to far from me Angela, I live in Kentucky . My husband has Bulbar ALS . I would train some friends so when you need that break and such they can step in. Maybe put ad in paper for that extra private care when you need it. Lots of people look for sitting with people in there homes who need help. Have you tried Care Tenders? Just some thoughts.

I have never hired help as I am 68 and retired so I have the time to take care of my wife who has ALS.

Here,if needed, I could hire help for $10 per hour ( CNA)

However, regardless if they are a RN, nearly all are clueless when it comes to ALS and have never had an ALS patient.
Be sure to explain in DETAIL the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back