Home Care for Trach - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Doctor told me the coccyx cushions would impair the flow of blood to the infected area and cause it to get worse?

Oh I didn't know that...but my mum's sore was better after she started using it. We don't let her sit on it all day though, because she always complain of the heat in Singapore and we have to move her to sit on her cooling cushion every few hours.

Hi,
My husband was on the ventilator 24 hours for 12 years and we took care of him at home and he never went to hospital,he passed away in december of 2008.Please feel free to contact me regarding ventilator and trach and i will try to answer and help you with your questions if i can.Take care and wish you a lot of strength and patience,God Bless.

stanly, thank you for your offer and wishes. :) And I am sorry to hear about your husband. *hugs*

I have one question for those with cuffed trach.

Is it more difficult to swallow when air is in the cuff? I had observed my mum swallow food and saliva relatively okay when we deflate the cuff. When we inflate it prior to putting the bipap hose, she started making sounds like fingers slapping on plastic when she swallow saliva and have to spit out whatever she cannot swallow.

She still has to spit some out when the cuff is deflated, but I was wondering if it is more due to the inflated cuff or her progression. Am I making sense?

We asked if there are medication to reduce her amount of saliva, but her neuro insisted there are none, though I remember reading about it once in the forum. I'll run a search of the forum later and see what I can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back