Home Care for Trach - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel: I have just seen the pictures. They helped a lot. Many thanks! I truly appreciate it.

Containers for soaking trach inner cannula

I was told to purchase disposable containers to soak the inner cannula before and after washing. The thing is can I just buy plastic containers and clean it with hot water after every use instead of using disposable ones?

That's what we do. It is also what we were told to do.

Thanks Joel.

The nurses told me even if I plan to reuse the containers, I can only used them up to a week (rinse with hot water after every use) before I should throw them away.

So I thought I would confirm here.

Hospitals and medical people always go to the extreme and have to be overly cautious, but you will find that things can be different once you are at home. I have used the same plastic containers since I got my tracheostomy in July of last year.

We are using disposable cups to contain distilled water for suction and a plastic container to soak/store my mum's inner cannula. Seemed okay so far.

Joel, I rem you mentioned the trach comes with a tiny brush. I asked about it and the hospital told me I have to purchase them separately. Still looking for a supplier before the one I have gets worn off.

Bad news is my mum is back in the hospital for a lung infection. She's only home for 2 weeks. I feel so terrible that I can't get off work to see her at the hospital now. :\

I am so sorry to hear about your mom!

Hope she gets better fast.

Here is the closest I could get to an actual picture of my trache tube, I have the cuffless one - ref# 100/811/080.

As you can see this is a kit that comes with 2 inner canulas and a brush.

We use saline for suctioning and peroxide to clean the inner canula.

100-810.jpg

Edited to add; Portex® Blue Line Ultra® Tracheostomy Tube Kit (Non USA)

Supplied as a kit including Blue Line Ultra® tracheostomy tube, two inner cannulae, cleaning brush and tracheostomy tube holder.

Product Features

* Thermosensitive PVC – provides sufficient rigidity for initial insertion, and then softens at body temperature to accommodate individual patient anatomy
* 105° angle for comfort in-situ
* Tube is suitably radio-opaque to enable confirmation of tube position
* Soft Seal cuff – velvet soft; low pressure, high volume cuff, with larger cuff resting diameter
* Clear markings on pilot balloon provide relevant information
* Flange is soft for maximum patient comfort, and clear to ensure aesthetic acceptability
* Obturator features special clip design to minimize tube tip movement during insertion
* Fenestrated option features multiple fenestrations to minimize risk of occlusion of fenestrations
* Inner cannula designed to be robust and easy to use. Ring pull design aids smooth insertion and removal from tube, minimizing patient trauma

That's great Joel. I've never really seen the equipment myself. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

AL.

Hi Joel,
My wife Tammy just had a trach inserted, last week. The hospital trained us on everything we needed to know...changing the inner cannula, etc including what to do if the trach accidently falls out, aside from panic.:p. Honestly it boils down to common sence but can appear overwhelming. Question please. We were told to not use the brush that comes with the kit to clean the inner cannula as it leaves tiny scratches and therefore it is an avenue for things to get trapped. I know, I know, logic tells me that the scratches would be sooooo small, what can be caught in them. What has been your experience with using a brush? We were also trained on the use of the cough assist machine, which we all like as it is non invasive and really expells the guck from the lungs.
Mark

Hi Mark, I am glad to hear you guys decided to get a trache and vent!

From our experience the brush has not caused any problems and I can't see how it would be possible to scratch the cannula as it is very soft. What do they recommend using?

As far as the tube falling out, don't worry it will not happen. LOL But if it did it is super easy to put it back in. My wife changes mine every month and just this morning I was having more secretions than usual and it felt like some of them were attached to the side of the tube so she removed it, cleaned it and put it back in. I don't feel a thing so don't be concerned that it is uncomfortable.

Pretty soon you're going to be an expert!

You are right, if common sense is followed it is very easy!

Joel, many thanks for the picture and info. I will try asking the suppliers directly.

I have one more question. How do you know if the trache is dislodged?

After my mum did coughing exercises yesterday, she kept hearing this sound coming from her trache. It sounds like someone beating against some plastic sheet. She felt very uncomfortable and breathless. We did suction, cupping and cleaned her inner cannula. It was only a while later that she felt better.

I am wondering about the possibility of the trache dislodging itself due to the coughing exercises.

Don't be concerned about dislodging the trache tube. You would notice if this actually happened - you would see it hanging out of her neck. If it looks normal in her throat then it is not dislodged.

As far as the noise you heard it could be that some secretions are higher up, around the tube, and suctioning cannot get them because they are too high.
I have that problem sometimes and we have developed our own way of dealing with them. I think I shared this somewhere before.

What we do is loosen the collar, which holds the tube in place, then tip the tube out so it is just barely in and suction, this way the catheter is starting to suction higher than usual. That usually does it.
If not we have taken the tube totally out and then suctioned. Most people I know are too afraid to do something like this and I don't think your doctor would approve. LoL.

But I am adventurous and will try anything to relieve the discomfort of secretions that are too high to properly suction.

My RT is writing a book on all the things I do, she just laughs and compliments me on my creativity. LOL

Joelc..You are a wonder! I marvel at your audacity, bravery, courage... all that it is. I am reading your posts often, just to prepare myself and learn for the time when we have to get the trache. Do you make housecalls?

LOL Thanks Marjorie!

I would love to make house calls but I do lots of telephone calls, I will call you anytime - just let me know!

Love Ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back