00/0000
Country
AU
State
NS
City
Sydney
Hi All,
Thank you for taking the time to read and help others.
Back in August I had a cold that lasted over a week and then it cleared. Since then I have had a Hoarse/Nasally voice. People are always asking me if I’m sick or losing my voice. I just ignored it assuming it was due to the cold I had. Eventually I saw my GP who sent me to a ENT who said he saw some mild ‘weakness of the vocal cord’ and no other structural issues or inflammation such as GERD etc. said it was most likely Muscle Tension Dysphonia.
My only worry is that I’ve been twitching heavily in my lip and on occasion in my tongue. I’ve been twitching body wide for close to a decade and was scared when it first happened but then realised it was normal but the lip and tongue are new.
Not sure if others have started with just a hoarse voice and wanted to know if I should see a Nuero to see the cause of the ‘weakness’ or just leave it and see a speech pathologist as the ENT suggested.

Why not take the ENT's assessment at face value, see the SLP and see what improvement can be gained? If it were MND (which I doubt), you would not see improvement and would see progression instead.

Twitching happens for many reasons and need not be connected with your voice at all. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, nutrition, and hydration.

Best,
Laurie

Nope, you are thinking you have bulbar onset, but that starts with a week tongue and everyone thinks you are drunk.
Please, you have been coming here a very long time chasing ALS.
Talk to your doctor about help and follow your doctors advice. We should not be who you ask, for your own sake.

Wow, almost 8 years worrying about a disease you don't evidence having in the slightest. I'm terribly sad for you because you'll never get this almost decade of your life back. Please move on from this. If you cannot, there are fantastic resources that can help you.

I wish you well.

Hi all,
It is correct that I jumped on here 8 years ago when my twitching first started. This was a really rough period of my life and lasted about 4 months of constant worry then after some methods of managing anxiety those fears went away and I haven’t visited this forum since.
It would have been really easy to jump in with a new email and ask my question so it’s treated in isolation from my post back in2014 or 15 whenever it was but decided not to.
I’ve had noticeable voice changes for some time and didn’t not think twice about this disease until an ENT stuck a tube in my nose and used the word ‘weakness’ in my vocal cords and supporting muscles and that’s the first time the ugly worries of this disease popped in my head. So no need to make me feel bad about myself for asking a question.
My question is purely about my hoarse nasally voice and nothing else.
Anyway thanks for replying and apologises if I have wasted anyone’s time

Mazza, did the ENT find anything other than it would concern her to refer you to a Neurologist?

(Usually a good qualified doctor will refrain from making comments until the exam is over then
go into consultation and consideration.) Don't hesitate to consider help for Health Anxiety again
until this is eventually resolved.

As we usually recommend... try hard to avoid Dr. Google and the Internet. Work with your doctors.

I would probably see a SLP to see if you can get improvement. Your ENT should be able to recommend one.
I hope everything improves.

Hi all,
Thank you for all of your responses. I’ve started seeing an SLP after the ENT appointment. She reviewed the video from the ENT and also stated I have mild weakness that she thinks was caused by nerve damage from my viral infection which has lead to Muscle Tension Dysphonia.
I specifically asked about ALS and she said that’s very rare and unlikely in my case and would only need to worry if my symptoms progressed or more developed.
I talk 4-6 hours a day at work and present daily so she said that would not be helping so she said I’ll be seeing her for at least 3 months to try and get my speech/voice back to what it was.
Thanks all again. I’ll stick with the treat plan from the Dr’s and hopefully that resolves the issue.

Great news, and what the SLP has said makes sense.
Many people have to rest their voice while healing from things. Work closely with your medical professionals and I hope you return to full health soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back