06/2012
Country
US
State
NV
City
Las Vegas
The History of the Middle Finger:

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to share it with my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified.

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and they began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentalfricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing. Didn't yew!!

Note: Copied from Facebook so it must be true! :grin:

We teach them to use this effective communication early..............

Attachments

• 15672766_1225803930847180_6529081700391337531_n.jpg
    15672766_1225803930847180_6529081700391337531_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 179
Love this! My PALS was notorious for "flipping the bird". Even said at his funereal that he was the only person who could make the middle finger endearing!

Since you guys like my previous post, I will put up my baby picture for your enjoyment.....the bird is the only sign language I know!

Attachments

• BabyFinger.jpg
    BabyFinger.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 343
Our state WV is shape of the “ bird flipping”��

Mark, I do love the pictures, but that finger doesn’t look like it belongs to that baby.

Chally, now I’ll never look at WVa in quite the same way!

As long as I have sufficient hand function, I pump my middle fingers up and down as I say, “F**k you, ALS”. Makes me feel empowered for a few seconds :).

Rumor has it that the finger is a universal symbol now. For example:

Attachments

• imagesizer.jpg
    imagesizer.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 190
I knew a guy who was always giving people the finger. Jokingly and meaningful and many times to me. Finally one day I told him...

"The middle finger is the longest finger we have. But... you seem to be so proud of your middle finger it's probably longer and bigger than your... (the shorter name for Richard.)"

I got the usually reply related to the jester. :)

PS. Years ago I probably got this jester behind my back and a few times to my face more than anyone has because I had to tell people...

"Straighten up the hat (two fingers off the bridge of the nose) or Straighten up that gig line (buttons, belt buckle and fly in line) or Tuck in the shirt or Put a shine on those boots." And my job in civilian life. So, I'm a little familiar with the jester. The guys from the military are probably smiling. Mike too. :)

Mods... delete if inappropriate.

Last edited:
Ahhh Karen...I love that you exercise your finger towards ALS. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back