Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
in the
City
somewhere
Recently, I got angry with neuro #1 and asked for my test results. I figured he didn't seem to want to treat me anymore; but was charging me hundreds of $'s for no help. I know these diseases are difficult to diagnose and it needs to be narrowed down; but sometimes you know when to move on. Well, I paid for my test results (which is ridiculous to begin with bc they're your results and you and your ins pays for them); but I get to my van and I am reading over the tests. I come across 1 that says MRI of the brain for TIA's which was normal. I never had an MRI of the brain - I had 1 of the neck and 1 of the cervical area (which on a 5' - 5'1" person to me is the same), I looked at the name. I had someone elses results, with their name, date of birth, address, phone no, and soc sec number. Thank GOD for me to receive this because many people could use this and do some terrible things with it. Now I contacted the hospital and asked almost begged the lady in the legal dept not to do anything until after my appt this Mon. Well, I missed the call from the drs. office and asked me to call them back. I thought it was just to confirm the appt; but oh no the drs office was interrogated by the legal dept from the hospital and wanted to know how I got her info. Now should I even bother going to the appt? And how do you think they are going to treat me now? I didn't do anything wrong but now I am actually afraid of going! I was planning on trying to get the drs notes so I can have them forwarded to my GP so I can go to Hopkins. Where are my rights, it's not my fault they had incompetent pople working in the office. And who could have had access to mine? If anyone has come up against this, please respond and let me know how you handled it. Thanks!

Kimberly, just call the doctor's office and tell them you want all your test results and notes sent to Hopkins. They should have a directory telling them where exactly to send it. You should NOT have to see your doctor, but will doubtless need to go in and sign a consent form--in the waiting room. I remember signing the forms after calling various doctors. You're right that you aren't at fault. Don't be afraid to call and rationally but firmly tell them what you want done. Chin up.
xoxo, Ann

Likely, the doc knows nothing of this, as the staff wants to keep the mistake hushed up. So, you just need to BE in control. You want your records forwarded (or a copy for yourself, which is your right) and it's no nonsense. If they try to make you feel bad, just act sweet as puddin' and act like you didn't know what you should have done. Well, that's my advice and I doubt I could take it, as I would be mad as hell at them!

Ok listen up, I worked for 8 years in Medical records & this is a huge violation ( not on your part) the Dr's office part, you have done nothing wrong, they have in releasing another patients records to you, the dr's office has no right to keep any medical records from you, did you sign a release of information to keep in your chart? you can have a release of information for 1 year at a time so you do not have to sign a release form every time you need your medical papers, as to the incident they could be sued by the "other" patient if they knew about their record/info being given to another person that is why they want it hush hush and probably want you to bring that very paper back in to them, as to changing dr's it is simple :0) your new doctor can request that all your records be either faxed or copied and sent directly to him or her that way the old office has to send everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back