Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
He has bulbar onset and lost ability to speak. He still has use of hand. He has a device he can use, type at a table, but its clunky when walking around. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for communicating via text or speech device while walking around? I see online those watches that project a keyboard on your arm, but haven't come on the market yet! Something high tech and discrete would be nice!

More high-tech or discreet than an iPhone? Can you be more specific as to his abilities? Sorry that you find yourself here. Are we talking about your dad, or...?

Best,
Laurie

Check out TextSpeak......it is a key board and a small speaker. He could type words in to the keyboard and the button and walla. The volume and speed of speech is fully controllable. Pre-programmed phrases can be stored.

I bought one myself for xmas, but have not used it out side of my home yet. I need to bite the bullet and start taking it out in public. I am kinda embarrassed to use it, but in reality it would help me because I can't talk fer sh!t.

They offer a cell phone sized keyboard or a 12X5 inch, I got both. You have to be able to use a keyboard to work this, my fingers still work.

My INS does not cover speech devices, so I just wrote it off on my taxes as a medical device.
TextSpeak AW - Talking Keyboards, AAC and Speech Generating Devices  -  Overview

I have an IPad Air tablet with the 'Predictable' software installed. Of course it also has all the usual internet functions.

The neat thing about the Predictable... As you type in two or three words of you sentence, it anticipates/predicts the next four or five likely words you may want to use next. Usually before you finish the word you are typing at that moment. Then you can select the one of those you had in mind. I use a stylus instead of my fat fingers... which allows me to blast through a message in no time at all. And of course it spell checks. Lord knows I need that.

It also has a handwriting window if you prefer. Works best if you cursive is good. Mine, not so much. But you can print as well. You can also store recent or planned phrases. I'm using it right now... this forum via Internet.

Have a sparkling day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back