garyoleary

Country
UK
State
West Yorkshire
City
Leeds
Hi,

I'm really worried about a condition i've been suffering with for a few months and wondered if anyone can help. I'm currently seeing a doctor but i've been given some very bad advice recently and i'm losing faith with them.
My symptoms began about 3 months ago, the most noticeable symptom is weakness in my forearms and loss of fine dexterity. When brushing my teeth it feels like i can't grip the tooth brush properly and using my door key is difficult. Both arms are affected equally. From time to time i'm getting twitching in my right index finger and shaking in my left hand.

The other symptoms i'm experiencing are pains in my elbows, on occasion i've also had pain in my knees and other general pains in my legs which i dont know if they are related.

Googling this stuff it seems that Lupus and ALS appear most often and i've therefore been worrying myself sick over this. I'm 30 years old and use a computer all day for a living. So far i've had blood tests which show my rheumatoid factor to be normal (they forgot to do a PV test do im booked into that for next week. one of many things my doc has done wrong). I do have gout, despite going to the doc with gout symptoms for the past 3 years i finally got them to do a blood test this year and found my uric acid levels were through the roof. The last input from my doc was that he thinks it could be RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but he offered no further advice or tests...... i'm really worried about this so any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Unfortunately I don't think anyone is going to be able to offer you great advice except continue persisting with your doctor(s).

IF it is neuromuscular, the pain would point away from ALS. And there are many things it could be besides neuromuscular. Carpal tunnel sounds reasonable - don't go down the dark path of researching ALS.

Hey my dear,
as much as we wish that we could give you some kind of answer we really can't.... it could be many different things. The best thing to do right now is put your trust in the doctor (i know scary thought) but if you don't like the answer they give you and are unsatisfied get another opinion until you are happy with your answer (or at least feel you got answers)

Searching the internet and trying to self diagnose is probably the worst thing you can be doing. You may be adding anxiety and worrying for no reason at all. Although there is something going on no doubt its best to talk to your doctor.

Also know if you need anything or anyone to talk to we will all be here for you!

Take care,
Manda

First and foremost let your Doctors diagnose whatever is wrong not the internet. We here are certainly happy to give advice but we are not Dr's. As ktmj said above pain points away from ALS. Additionally while this is not a steadfast rule typically limb onset ALS starts unilaterally and then spreads not bi - laterally.

Find a Dr. you are comfortable with and do not even think about ALS. There are certainly lots of more likely scenarios and please stop using g o o g l e as a medical resource.

Your symptoms as you've reported them appear to be those of some form of nerve entrapment, such as carpal tunnel syndrome. Why do you think you have something more serious?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get a referral to a neurologist for a nerve conduction velocity (NCV) and possibly an EMG.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!,

I know this and other forums are full of people worrying they have a ALS or another serious illness, I know researching the net is a bad idea but its a difficult temptation to avoid (especially when people like you guys are so helpful). Your advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to advise me and the other people on here!.

Kind Regards
Gary

Gary,

The fact that your joints seem to be affected definitely point away from ALS. See a Neuro and a Rheumy to rule out neuropathy and auto-immune.

Perhaps you should find a new primary care doc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back