Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
Hi- I am reaching out for ideas and advice. My father who is 70 was diagnosed with ALS almost a year ago, but was showing symptoms for at least 12 months prior. He is wheelchair bound and can not transfer without assistance. My parents are moving into a new condo that they MUST get retrofitted to accommodate his wheelchair. The main problem is the bathroom- the shower and the toilet are of no use to him until they make it accessible. The problem is- and the crux of my question. Who in the DC/MD/VA area (Bethesda, MD) does this work? Can someone PLEASE recommend a contractor that has made these adjustments before. They are having a terrible time getting bids and quotes from people with specific experience. I would think that with NIH, Hopkins and other state of the art medical facilities nearby, someone must know someone they can recommend to get this work done. They will be needed to leave their current living situation within the month. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

If your dad is a veteran of the military, I have good news for you. Is he?

Yes, he is a veteran and we are pursuing all the benefits through the VA. The problem is, they need 3 bids for the renovation, and by law the VA can not recommend particular contractors. Therefore, my parents have been unable to find anyone who has perfomed this work before who can supply a bid.

I don't know if you are a member but I have been very very successful with people found on Angie's list. I wish I was closer but I'm 90 miles south so not much help in the DC area. Good luck! Also there is a website for making bathrooms and such accessible. Universal Design Living Laboratory it might be of some assistance to you as well.

Glickman Design Build, LLC in Potomac MD., Lanigan enterprises, Inc in Kensington MD. and Covenant Construction, Inc. in DC all list disability remodeling as a service of their company.

Thank you! Do you have any personal experience with any of these?

No, I'm sorry I don't. I've gotten very good at tracking down contractors though because I've been fixing up my "fixer upper" for the last 10 years.
You're right though, there does appear to be very few in the area that advertise that service. Good luck.

Reply went to mod. In brief, no specific experience.

You could always ask Sarah at ALSA for DC/MD/VA area. She is the patient coordinator. Very helpful lady.
PM me if you are interested.

My VA SENT the contractors out. They know who does a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back