Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
Hi,

Glad to find this community looking for some info in regards to my symptoms. Hoping you all can provide some advice..

I am 40 yr old female in relatively good health. Starting about 4 or 5 weeks ago I had a sinus infection it cleared up and I went on vacation with my family. We were walking quite a bit and at the end of the day I had a second where it felt like my lower legs were not there! I did not fall and kept walking. After that I noticed I was pretty tired for the next day or two and I also had a coreneal ulcer on my eye. We came back home and I noticed my left hand was weak. I had trouble typing or holding a utensil. That went away and then I got perioribital cellulitis (bad eye infection) and a cold. I started taking clindamyacin and then My legs started to feel weak and I just started to feel terrible. Have now noticed some weakness in my arms and also muscle spasms kind of all over. Now I am done with the medicine and have another cold already and my legs are still weak although I can pick them up a bit better. Still having the muscle twitching in random places in addition to the weakness. My doctor has done a CK test it was normal. They just did an MRI yesterday and it came back normal except for the sinusitis from my cold that showed up. I have an appt scheduled now with a Neurologist but they cannot get me in until mid May. I have read some of the threads on here and I am not sure what this could be. I think my Dr. thought maybe MS but since my MRI of brain was normal maybe not. It sounds a little like ALS but not quite? Would it really progress in the period of two weeks to involve both legs and arms? Would my hand not work and then now work again for two weeks? Would the muscle twitches be all over? Also, although I have weakness in both legs I do not have foot drop etc. A week ago I passed the basic neuro exam my Dr. gave me like walk on your tippy toes and heels etc. But yet, my legs sometimes feel heavy. Thanks if you made it this far. I am just not sure what is going on all the sudden with my body :confused:

Glad my above post was approved..Sorry it is one big block of info. Hoping for some insight. To recap:

- 40 yr old female
- onset of symptoms concurrent with infections/colds
- initial sudden both leg weakness brief (literally for 2 seconds)
- then left hand weakness that has resolved
- now both leg weakness constant (but seems better than it did a few days ago i.e. I can actually walk some and lift my legs) and both arm weakness varied
- also now having muscle twitches all over
- all occurred over a two week period
- MRI normal
- CPK normal
- referred to neuro appt not until mid-may

Main question is can PLS/ALS come on that quickly within 2 weeks to involve all four limbs? Would I have extreme weakness in my left hand for a day and then have it be fine for 2 weeks after? Would the muscle twitches be all over already?

Thank you all in advance.

Nope.

ALS is a slowly progressive disease that doesn't affect all your limbs at once nor produce fasciculations all over your body.
Furthermore, sinus infection by itself is not a sign of ALS.

Other helpful folks in the forum will chime in later with some insights for you.

Regards,

NH

Actual clinical weakness (which your doc did not find on exam) is a hallmark of MND, not perceived weakness.
Good luck sorting things out.

Thank you NH for the reply..my body feels horrible and I cannot figure out what is going on. My legs were like lead for a few days and now they are still weak with twitches but I can move them and jump etc but my arms are so sore. I have no idea what is going on. My Dr. said I am severely Vit D deficient and was dehydrated but that is the only abnormal things to come up in testing so far. My neuro appt is pretty far out so this board is helpful..

I would guess that something viral is going on or maybe bacterial. With sinus infection and then 2 colds and eye infections I think they should be looking in that direction. Maybe the sinus infection is not gone. My oldest son had to have 2 sinus surgeries before he was 11 years old. I am not a doctor but I know sinus infections can be hard to clear up. maybe have some sinus xrays done.

I agree with nighthawk that it is very slim that it is als. Once als starts it stays and start in one limb usually but can be bulbar. twitching is not an early sign either.

Good luck.

Hi, just an update..
Met with primary doctor again and she tested thyroid, lyme, mono etc. All test came back normal. She also had me talk to a counselor and the counselor said that I did not seem depressed and did not seem to need counseling. My symptoms continue. Still many twitches and my legs seem less weak now but now having hard time walking because they get so stiff and sore. My arm and hand weakness still gone which is good but the twitching and cramping and stiffness in my legs so concerning. My neuro appt still so far out. I asked about going out of network to a neuro recommended to me by a family friend and my doctor said she did not think it would be worth it? Can a doctor refuse to refer a patient? I am confused and scared. My mom has been here helping and is leaving tomorrow. I have a 4 yr old to take care of and I am having trouble walking :(

I don't think you have ALS but for your peace of mind ask your GP for a referral to a Neurologist. Good luck!

Hello

You were/are dehydrated and low on Vit. D and had a series of infections. It is much, much more likely you've got some post-viral thing going on!

Ask about an auto-immune panel if you're worried---but you don't need a neuro unless you have progressive true weakness. Read the sticky at the top of this section on perceived and true weakness.

Believe me, it doesn't get better--it gets worse and worse. And ALS doesn't have a 2 week body-wide onset cycle.

Something is going on--but ALS isn't it,.

Thank you so much for your responses..I really appreciate you taking the time to read my thread and provide feedback..My doctor has offered to refer me to a rheumatologist to look into some possible things like fibromyalgia or auto immune things. I think I will take her up on that while I wait for the neuro consult. It is going on almost 5 weeks now of my symptoms, they came on widespread kind of suddenly and although I have good days where my arms and hand feel better for instance my legs are constant although they do not feel as heavy as they did before but my muscles get sore and stiff and twitch and so I still have trouble walking. I will update this thread when I have some more info. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts and have a blessed day.

well you'll be glad to know that ALS just doesn't move that fast.

Hi There,

Just a small update on my symptoms..I am still having them. I did go to me Rheumatologist appt. She was very thorough and took a TON of tests. I do not have results back yet. She did an xray of back of my neck also. She said to keep my neuro appt in the meantime which is for mid-May. I did have something interesting happen though. I was tired after my 20 vials of blood tests after my appt and I told my hubby I needed to lay down he said to lay on my stomach and put a pillow under me so I could take some pressure off my back. I told him to quit bugging me but did it anyway and for the first time in over a month and half my twitching in my legs stopped. I laid there for 30 mins without one twitch! I also noticed my legs stopped cramping. Anyway, he went to rub my back and I said it does not hurt. He touched my lower bag by my spine and I thought I was gonna jump on the ceiling! It hurt so bad. Oiy. So I think I may be having back problems which could be my issue. I emailed my Dr. and she thinks so too. She wants to wait for the test results though. Anyway, last year I was diagnosed with Piriformis which is compression on your sciatic nerve. I did not have leg weakness then so I did not even consider that could be the cause. We will see but it is possible so wanted to update. Will poster another update after I have more info..

Have a good day everyone and thanks again for your feedback on my posts..

oh good I hope you have a fixable back problem

Oh goody, I hope it is the back problem and you can get it fixed.

Yay husband! Yay you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back