Diagnosis
05/2001
Country
US
State
MA
City
Greater Boston Area
Hi, I just want to introduce myself. I'm taking care of my husband who has ALS. He was diagnosed in 2001. He's 45 years old. His arms were first effected by the disease, though he still uses the computer with effort. We have three kids, one still living at home.

I've read some of the posts here, and many have brought me to tears. It is a horrible disease, ALS. :(

I hope I will be able to contribute to this forum.

Welcome Sweetmozart,

We are in a very simular situation, My husband, now 40, was diagnosed 4 years ago, a few months after our second daughter was born, our first daughter was 7. Time has gone by so fast, and it all feels like a dream... with many nightmares too... I am sure there is a lot you could contribute, what a change it is for all of us, it makes you question everything about yourself, as a mother, as a spouse, as a friend as a caregiver. All the ups and downs, all the guilt, all the emotions... and as a mother, I am always wondering, have I done enough? could I have been different? or made a different choice, did I spend enough time with each of the kids?

And you have 3...! It is awful, but I hope my children can learn some great lessons that they can carry with them for life:... compassion being the main lesson.

Hi Sweetmozart. As a clasical music fan, I can't help but like your screen name! SOrry to hear about hour husband's DX. THis disease is tough on everybody.

Thanks, Clbrink,

I guess we are all going to learn some lessons the hard way.

My youngest was in third grade when his dad was diagnosed. I told him the name of the illness, then just let him ask questions in his own time. It was a while before he asked the big question - is daddy going to die? Anyway, he is pretty well adjusted with everything. We are very lucky that my husband's disease has progressed so slowly. It gives us time with each other and time to deal with things. We have a pretty normal life, considering we have the dark cloud always overhead.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, Cindy.

I just posted a reply to Clbrink before noticing your reply. Actually, though I do like classical music, but my screen name is in honor of a meerkat! Mozart, from Meerkat Manor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back