PALS
Country
US
State
ca
City
lancaster
Hi!

I fell last month and broke my wrist been in a cast for the last 5 weeks. My ? is has anyone had a cast and were you weaker in that area? worried about this cause it is my left wrist and I am left handed.

your all in my thouths and prayers

slm455

When I was much younger I broke my wrist several times. Every time I wore a cast that arm was weaker. The arm also became much thinner for some time.

I urge you to get advice from a physical therapist. I also broke my arm as a youth and it does get weaker while in a cast, since you don't use it during that time. Losing muscle is something you don't want to have happen and hopefully a good PT can advise you. Cindy

My husband (has PMA) broke his weak leg end of February. Any healthy adult's muscle will atrophy after being casted, the only problem with this disease, you don't get it back. We talked in length to his neurologist and orthopedist about an electric stimulator, which is used under the cast to stimulate the muscle and keep it active. We did not go this route because he was put in a weight baring boot after three weeks and can walk on it now. It is smaller then it was before breaking it, and this is obvious even though there is still some swelling. As far as weakness, we'll have to wait until it's completely healed. He still limps a bit right now.

Check with your physical therapist. After five weeks in a cast, there will be atrophy and weakness. Hopefully they can recommend something to help keep it from progressing the remaining time you're casted.

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back