Country
BE
State
Belgium
City
Brussels
Hello

Actually, I have been diagnosed with ALS about 8 months ago,
and so far I have been experiencing the early symptoms.

It is really hard to deal with such a fact; And here I am up for chatting
with other ALS patients to share our experience.

Welcome, Omar. You have come to the right place to access information, get personal support, and share experiences. This site can be tremendously helpful and the people are great. I have found that both the search feature (to browse old posts on a specific topic) and posting questions in the forum are good ways to find information and get ideas for how to solve problems. Glad you are here, though sorry you have to deal with ALS. Holly

:-D
Omar said:
It is really hard to deal with such a fact; And here I am up for chatting
with other ALS patients to share our experience.

Howdy Omar, welcome to this site. I was Dx in May of Last year. I have bulbar, I cannot speak , & walk with a walker, & have a power chair to use outdoors. That is why I love this forum with the computer as my voice, I can converse with others, & those others are warm caring , knowledgeable people, that will listen & comment on anything you want to know, Good luck. EM

Hi Omar -

Nice to meet you. I was diagnosed last November after 2 years of symptoms. Still getting around on my own. So far, so good but it is hard not to think about what's coming. I've found it difficult to make practical decisions (for example, should I buy a new car?) because I don't know how much longer I'll be able to work, drive, etc.

Glad you joined us. I hope you find the forum supportive. Lots of good info to be had here too.

Take care,

Liz

Hey Edna & Liz, I am really sad to know that lot's of people have ALS.
It seems that this virtual world is a place where we do feel less lonely and more understandable. Before, I used to think that they have achieved a lot in the medical field and now I see that they are still way behind especially when it comes to neurological problems. So far I do feel more like you Liz, I still can get around and do lots of the daily stuff by my self and find it extremely difficult to take decisions, like I was doing my Masters in Holland so I have quit to go back to my country and here I am again planning to go back to holland at the end of this month.
As for you Edna I do understand you wanting to talk and to be heard in here.
I am still new in here and to forums in general since it is not a direct way to chat
but still we will be able to communicate.
Thank you for welcoming me

Omar

Welcome Omar. Feel free to jump in whenever you like.
AL..

Welcome Omar. Glad you decided to join us. You seem to be coping pretty well...How are your friends and family doing? Cindy

Hi Omar,

I was diagnosed nearly nine years ago. I am now a quadriplegic on a ventilator, but I still enjoy a very rich life. I have been through several stages; fear, grieving, acceptance, and finally, joy. I just wanted to try to ease your fears and let you know, life with ALS has the potential to be a growth experience.

Mike
http://mikebougher.com

Hey Hboyajian, Al and Cindy
It is true, bit by bit and I feel more attracted to this forum;
Curious to know more about the disease, hoping that one day it will be cured
and happy to meet more people.

hi omar you are pretty young to have als just wondering did they do alot of other to rule out other diseases.

Hey Mike,

What an optimistic message, even though I am sad to know that you are now a quadriplegic on a ventilator; Honestly I am still new to all this and don't know sometimes what are the devices people are talking about in here. I remember that right after being diagnosed, I had read a lot about ALS, cried a lot and had lots of panics till I have decided to stop reading about it and to live ignoring the fact that I have it.
Actually I have managed to overcome my panics but never forget the fact that I have ALS, especially at night when I feel more the movements in my muscles.

and Thank you for your encouragement

Omar

Hey Zac,

When it comes to ALS it is always more conventional to go for a second opinion
and to rule out other diseases.
I was not comfortable with my first Neurologist, even though he did all the regular tests from MRI and EMG to Blood tests and lues serology. He kept on telling me to go back to my country and to my family, till I asked him once about my age and its relation to ALS. His simple answer was that because I am quite young the ALS is going to be much more faster than older patients.
Now I am following up with a special ALS center and I was happy to hear that ALS differ from one patient to another whether he is young or old.

i am very sorry for you i have not gotten a diagnosed yet i want to know whats wrong with me but in a strange way i kinda dont want to know i have had problems for 4 months now.i have heard of a very few people that als has stoped in and even reversed so there is alwaysd hope never give up you will be in my prayers and just remember anything and i do mean anything is possible through god.

Omar-It must be difficult dealing with this if your family is in another country. Hopefully there is a good ALS clinic nearby? If so, you'll get a lot of support and coping tips from there! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back